Options

Bike Rack

I transferred my Rocky bike rack from my Jeep roofrack to the front of the Tag. I'll be adding a side-support the same as I did on my LG. This trailer is wider so I can fit my bike on there without removing the front wheel. Nice. When I get the parts, I'll post a photo of the side-support.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

As promised, I am posting a couple photos of my finished bike rack.

Here's the whole banana. I had traveled a few hundred miles with a hacked copy of my bike stabilizer made from a piece of pvc and bungee cords. I finally got all the widgets and fasteners in one place so I put this one together.

The rack just bolts to the top of the storage box. A no brainer. But the aluminum lid is nowhere strong enough to keep the bike stable at speed. As I did with my other LG mount, I made a stabilizer that goes from the trailer to the seat post on my bike to keep it from wobbling around in the wind. This one is made from a broom handle and a small wall mount for a broom. I screwed the broom wall mount to the end of the broom handle and put a small L bracket on the roof vent. I put a 1/4" bolt up through the L bracket with a keeper nut to keep it tight. The broom handle just drops down on the bolt, then has a nylon eared nut that screws on. I slightly bent the broom holder on the end to fit the seat post on my bike. When not hauling my bike, I can take the stabilizer off in about 30 seconds and stow it. Easy peasy. I did wrap the ends of the broom handle with black tape just to prevent possible scratching of the bike or trailer. Works fine and is mega-sturdy.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Sweet bike, by the way.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options

Thanks BB,
    It's a Norco Fattie. I've been a Specialized fan for years but my search for a fat tire bike took me to Norco. I got it new (non-current) for $700 bucks as the dealer was moving and wanted to pedal (pun intended) the last year stuff. I threw another $100 bucks at it upgrading from mechanical to hydraulic brakes, good pedals and a handlebar riser. Even with the upgrades, it was half the cost of an entry level Specialized.
    I love it. It's my version of the ubiquitous RV park golf cart. I don't have to plug it in, but occasionally charge it up with a gin and tonic...

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Ya, Specialized do get pricey, my wife has a tarmac pro.
    Haven't tried a fatty yet, they look fun but lots of work.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options

That's what I thought too. Lots more work than the Camber Comp FS I came off of. Turns out, nope. It's slower, but easy. Rides easier in grass and gravel too. Mostly got it for State park campground duty but it does very well on street duty, albeit slower. But then again, so am I...

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    ericmoorecoericmooreco Member Posts: 46

cool looking bike.
    i rented a bike like that this past summer, a lot of work going up hill, but much more fun going back down, and it was so comfortable(hardly felt the rocks).

2015 T@G
    Colorado Springs

• Options

There and back again....Or so Tolkien once said.
    I've ditched the heavy, large full bike mount in favor of the small fork mount and rear tire tiedowns. It's the same setup I had on my LG5W and rode well there. It's also a bunch lighter than the full bike Rocky mount. Having gone around the block more than a few times with bike mounts, I keep coming back to this method. It works, it's diminutive and unobtrusive.

I ordered this fork mount for 135mm forks from QBP (quality bike parts). It uses the bikes' drop-in axle. Cost me $19 bucks.

For the rear tire, I'll pick up a couple of poprivet-on strap mounts like the ones for battery boxes. I'll use a nylon strap and snap closure to go around the rear tire.

Even with the fork much lower, my side stay still clears the front moonroof.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.