Options

things to make life easier

have added a few things since we got Triple B in April...cutting board over stove, clothes hanger above bed, sections within the basement storage, awnings and storage area above bed using pressure rods...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
2018 Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517

Awesome! I like the sectional setup in the underbed strorage area too! Hard to beat these trailers and have used mine in the past during power outages here at my home. I've never missed my morning coffee yet! :)

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

don't know what happened to my awning pic...love them so much making a second pair...can never have enough awnings...Sharon B. Sigmon has 4 sets so I'm told...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    StellaMarisStellaMaris Member Posts: 26

Pretty amazing hacks, @ontheroad! REALLY like the cutting board over the stove for extra counter space. The one over the sink comes in really handy, and I was thinking about something like this. Also love your reference to the "basement!" LOL. The awnings are adorable too - wish I was more handy with sewing!

Kim
    "StellaM@ris", 2017 T@G Max XL
    2020 Ford Escape SEL Ecoboost and 2003 Explorer XLT
    Tyke, Buckshot, and Bonnie (the 4-legged children)

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

For my time investment, one of the things I get the most return on is seeing how each of us deals with space management and just plain personal taste. Lots of great ideas here. I'll make it a point to work on some kind of cutting board variation of what you've done. I also like the other ideas too. It's fun to work at solutions and it seems to me the best ones come about through use and problems solving.

Thanks for sharing...
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    K9lyonstfK9lyonstf Member Posts: 9

Has anyone installed a pneumatic arm to help lift the bed for access to the under bed storage? We have pieces of pvc to prop the bed up but lifting the boards with the froli, mattresses, and bedding is a struggle.

• Options

I am installing a linear actuator in my rig. I need to fabricate both the top and bottom mounts first but it's in the works...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

K9lyonstf, don't have the froli system...only have the original stock mattress and 2 " memory foam bundled together with a mattress pad...only go under the bed at the destination and when packing up, things I want to take but don't always need :), I'm sure it could be installed though

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options

@WilliamA said:
    I am installing a linear actuator in my rig. I need to fabricate both the top and bottom mounts first but it's in the works...

WilliamA

I am unable to fabricate mounts. I need something easy to install right “out of the box.”

• Options

@ontheroad said:
    K9lyonstf, don't have the froli system...only have the original stock mattress and 2 " memory foam bundled together with a mattress pad...only go under the bed at the destination and when packing up, things I want to take but don't always need :), I'm sure it could be installed though

The froli system probably adds less weight than a 2” memory foam topper. We had a topper at first. I am looking to make that storage area easier to access.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 139

If you don’t have metal hinges, be sure to install them. They make a world of difference.

I used a 1” dowel, about 14” long, with rubber cane tips on both ends and that is what I used to hold my under mattress storage plywood up. It didn’t slip and I made sure I placed it where I could easily find it each time.

I never knew how to figure out what size of pneumatic lift arm I needed, so the 1” dowel was perfect for me. Just put rubber cane tips on the ends so it won’t slip.

If I still had my Silver Shadow, I’ll bet that I would have invested in the Froli system. It sounds great.

• Options

@Verna said:
    If you don’t have metal hinges, be sure to install them. They make a world of difference.

I used a 1” dowel, about 14” long, with rubber cane tips on both ends and that is what I used to hold my under mattress storage plywood up. It didn’t slip and I made sure I placed it where I could easily find it each time.

I never knew how to figure out what size of pneumatic lift arm I needed, so the 1” dowel was perfect for me. Just put rubber cane tips on the ends so it won’t slip.

If I still had my Silver Shadow, I’ll bet that I would have invested in the Froli system. It sounds great.

Can you please post a picture of your hinges? That is something we plan to do. BTW, the froli system isn’t LG or NuCamp specific. And you can take it out if you trade in your trailer on something else.

• Options

@K9lyonstf, I no longer have my Silver Shadow, as I now own a T@B.

I bought two 3’ piano hinges, placed them across the middle with about 2 playing cards thickness between the two boards and then carefully screwed them in place. It didn’t take long, and it sure made lifting the half bed easier.

• Options

Verna,
    When you say "playing card thickness" do you mean the space between where the hinges meet and screw to the center rib? Also, did you use wood screws on the door side or machine screws with nuts on the back. I'm doing the same upgrade but have found that there's not a lot if red meat to screw into. I'm always hesitant to screw into a piece if wood that's not designed to hold a screw. It would be just inconvenient to run a screw through a wiring harness or water tank too!

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

@WilliamA, sorry, take two playing cards and place them between the two pieces of plywood to lessen the possibility of the two pieces of plywood binding on reach other. I frequently use playing cards as temporary spacers in my woodworking to allow for seasonal expansion or the need for hinge movement.

I used short wood screws, and filled every hole in the hinge with a screw to give the hinge greater strength.

And, I would hesitate putting any screw over the water tank if it is under the plywood. Please make sure you know exactly what is under the plywood before making this mod. I remember a photo taken after someone drilled a hole through their water tank without checking first what was on the other side of the support wood :'(

• Options
    edited October 2017

Thanks Verna,
    I get the shimming things out to keep a hinge from getting too tight. That makes more sense now. I'm with you on finding out what's down in the place you are going to drill into. I still haven't figured out exactly where the water tank borders are in my rig. Need to do a more than casual study...

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

@WilliamA, you’re very welcome. Yes, “shimming” is the word I should have used.

The photo I saw of the hole drilled in the tank was bordered by the under plywood board supports at your feet, or under the cabinets. It is possible the factory screws those boards down to keep it safe.

My Silver Shadow was a 2011, so it was different than the T@G’s. I know you’ve already done Mods, but just remember the water tank is under the foot of your bed and the wiring has to get to the front of the cabin, so it is under the mattress somewhere.

• Options
    edited October 2017

@K9lyonstf said:

Can you please post a picture of your hinges? That is something we plan to do.

This is what we are referring to with the piano hinge for the two storage doors for the under-bed stoarage area.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    edited October 2017

Thanks for the picture, Mike. We have a plastic piece between the boards. Did you take that out or is that not in your camper? It looks like the plastic piece is a finish piece for a wooden edge between the boards. Also, what size screws did you use?

• Options

That is a photo of my former Silvershadow trailer. I had the piano hinge installed down at the factory. You could buy a piano hinge either online or at a hardware store. I would buy matching wood screws that were just less then the thickness of the under bed panels. I would also use a drop of wood glue in each hole to ensure a tight fit for the wood screws.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    edited November 2017

The long piano hinge wouldn’t work because of the spacing between the boards. So we got a package of 3 hinges and then 5/8” wood screws. See photos

Sorry. I meant to post this under the other discussion.

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358
    edited November 2017

That works great. Good idea! I think I’ll do the same. I have very little storage below the bed because of the difficulty of raising the bed. Maybe I’ll be inspired to add more. Maybe :o

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

TomD, the hinges keep the slats from sliding out of place so it’s a bit easier to lift the beds. We also have pieces of PVC pipe with rubber foots to prop the bed up as others have mentioned.

• Options

K9lyonstf...you beat me to the picture, that is what we did...they work fine...no shifting out of place, we used a piece of closetmaid rod that I happened to have and bought rubber caps for both ends...one section for hubby's "basement" and one for my side...works out great!

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    TheresaATheresaA Member Posts: 24

My first mod will be the three hinges. Thank you all for the discussion.

• Options
    ElPhoenixElPhoenix Member Posts: 40

What's the loss using this adapter? I would imagine you can't use the AC or microwave, but can you still run the Nucold? Is it able to charge the battery as well?

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

@ElPhoenix said:
    https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/396#Comment_396
    What's the loss using this adapter? I would imagine you can't use the AC or microwave, but can you still run the Nucold? Is it able to charge the battery as well?

You should be able to use AC on 110 shore power. Might have a problem with AC and microwave at the same time. I use a 110 to 30 amp when plugged into at home. Matter of preference on what type you use.

This is what I have.

https://amazon.com/Camco-Dogbone-Electrical-Innovative-PowerGrip/dp/B000BUU5YA

2017 T@G Max

• Options

@ElPhoenix said:
    https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/396#Comment_396

It's a matter of amps. When I still had my microwave and A/C I would not have been afraid of using one with the plug adapter. The plug is rated at 15 amps. Since I don't any longer have the appliances it's not a big deal to me. Everything I have runs fine on this plug.
    Hope that helps.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

The plug should be rated at 15 amp as mine is. Adding the extension cord with its limitations likely brings id down to 12 amp or about. That is enought to power everything in my trailer turned on full power. (About 7 amps). I do not know what the microwave pulls. Sholud be on the microwave. My guess is that it still should not be an issue. Adding something like a space heater would likley be too much for the extension cord and maybe adapter.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271
    edited January 2020

My electricians always reminded folks they need to manage their circuits. At Vintage Trailer Rallies, I have been carrying a couple good 12 gauge extinctions myself. Have Run AC, Micro Wave, Heater but not all at once. Had a minimum draw Micro Wave on board. Also I installed a new power box and dedicated circuit for the Micro Wave and portable heater on our 60 year old Avion. I have carried a pile of cords to rout power to neighbors. Places like Fair Grounds, parks etc. Some folks need power for CPAP and do not have battery backup.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature