Phantom Loads

lost_in_the_woodslost_in_the_woods Member Posts: 17
edited April 2018 in Battery/Electrical & Solar

Hooking up solar, turning battery disconnect to on position, checking power consumption with nothing on. A lot of phantom loads with tv instant on, and cd/dvd player instant on. Bluetooth automatically comes on my phone, so I have to disable it. Wish people would understand how a phantom load can eat up battery power. Each of these items should have disconnect switches. Disappointing unless there is something I’m missing to turn off bells and whistles and only direct power to that which I wish to use.

Experiences are more valuable than possessions.

Comments

• lost_in_the_woodslost_in_the_woods Member Posts: 17
    edited April 2018

I pulled the 7.5 amp dc fuse which controls the tv and stereo, but it also controls all the interior lighting and porch lights. Dumb. During the day that’s fine, I can use the 12 volt plug in the galley. But at night if I want one led light by which to read the bells and whistles of the tv and stereo have to be on. Phantom loads.

• TomDTomD Member Posts: 358
    edited April 2018

I see some customizing coming on 🤓! Lost...you have what appears to be a lifetime of experience in this regard. Look forward to seeing how you tackle the issue.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Usb chargers are also phantom drain. They have small built in transfo.

What would be nice is a small switch board need the bed head board. But that would mean a lot of wires to pass. But maybe in futur mods.....

• BrianBrian Member Posts: 26

Some phantom drain is unavoidable, but there are some things you can do to reduce it. There is an inline fuse behind the TV that can be removed to eliminate that drain. While it isn’t easy to eliminate the drain from the Jensen radio, you can turn off the display illumination using the “-“ (minus) button to the left side of the display. Also unplug the A/C GFI plug to remove another small current draw from that indicator light.

Brian & Lisa
    North Georgia
    2017 T@G Max XL / 2011 Kia Sorento

• lost_in_the_woodslost_in_the_woods Member Posts: 17

We've lived off grid since 1984 and have learned that phantom loads are a real killer and are entirely avoidable...

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2018

I've not had the issues many on this forum have had with lack of 12V power. (Maybe I'm just not doing it right?) I charge my battery when it gets down around 10.9V if I remember, but otherwise just assume things are good. I almost never shut off the battery switch unless doing maintenance or putting it in storage for over a month, which seldom happens. But....As you are so right in pointing out, power-sucking drains are everywhere. It seems logical to me that the industry could be a bit more vigilant about putting in a few shutoff switches for things like the radio etc.
    One that does keep me scratching my head is the light on the television that only comes on when it's off. That one pegs the needle on my "weird-s###ometer" to a solid 6.5. A small square if black masking tape solves the immediate problem, but the logic behind the design completely escapes me. At least the interior lights don't come on when you lock the door from the outside.... Maybe I shouldn't plant any ideas...
    My mantra: If I want to control something, I put in a switch. Switches=control=good...
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 139
    edited July 2020

http://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6582/blue-television-light

This is a simple, and inexpensive, switch for the TV. In fact you get two of the switches. Unfortunately, the Jenson radio power connection is not the same as the TV.

http://tab-rv.Vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/88702#Comment_88702

For those without the dimming capability on their Jenson entertainment centers.

edited July 2020

@Verna said:
    http://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6582/blue-television-light

This is a simple, and inexpensive, switch for the TV. In fact you get two of the switches. Unfortunately, the Jenson radio power connection is not the same as the TV.

http://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/88702#Comment_88702

For those without the dimming capability on their Jenson entertainment centers.

Verna,
    Spot on! Well done...
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

Ok, thank you all for the info. Following Verna's link, I have decided to pull squize the trigger on the TV switch. We like to have the possibility of keeping it for rainy nights, so want to keep it, but do not use it enough to keep power on it all the time.

Will also do the Jensen entertainment switch add really soon, with the foot bed USB charger.

Now, if rain can can stop and warmer weighter just come back in.

Rain help with the snow, but nut that much since everything is so cold. Dang.

• RobWierdsmaRobWierdsma Member Posts: 1

Folks, Like others on this thread, I am irritated that the TV and radio unit on my 2019 T@g XL are always lit and wish to prevent them using up energy when I don't want to use them. Unfortunately, the links above about the switch no longer work. Is there another thread that has this info?

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 622

Vanilla changed it’s url awhile ago from “vanillaforums” to “vanillacommunity”, so I changed the url and the new links should work. I will try to doctor the previously posted links.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6582/blue-television-light

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/88702#Comment_88702

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148
    edited July 2021

What are people getting for amp drain on battery with fridge turned off and tv and stereo? TV has idiot light and Jensen stereo has time displayed. No other lights on, etc. Thanks. The reason I’m asking this is cause I’m drawing 0.131 amps. Turn batt switch off 0 amps. I’m trying out this new AiLi battery monitor. The AiLi coincide with my Fluke.

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I got rid of two phantom loads by adding switched USB charging socket (2), and a switch on the Jensen television power cable to eliminate the LED which shines when the unit is off. The only load I should have now is the Jensen entertainment unit clock, which I have in the lowest brightness level possible. My Renogy battery monitor does not even register that draw.

• Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148

Workin on it, found one….now down to 0.091a. Just ordered above. Thanks for the insight. Ordered a maxxfan a year + ago—need to install. WilliamA has a good write up on install.

Bob297,

I think you'll like the Maxx fan. The more I've used mine, the more it's worth to me. I recently discovered that if you leave it in the open position (fan off) it keeps the interior from turning into a boiler. That was nice in the July heat down south. I ran with the side windows opened in the first lockable position and the roof vent open and it was nice and cool inside when we stopped! Excellent!

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.