I hate my fenders

WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
edited August 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades

We'll.... It's true. I hate my fenders. To be sure, there's not a single thing wrong with them. They cover well, seem to be nearly bulletproof and I've not had any issues with them. But...I hate 'em... I don't like the shape. I like that they are flat on top so I can put my shoes on them at night, but I want some round ones anyway.

As Monk would say: "See, here's the thing". Since I swapped out my axle for a Timbren suspension, the wheels move, both up and down and, as a curious side effect of the angled, trailing-arm design, fore and aft as they go through their complete wheel travel. When the suspension is at rest and the suspension is at its highest, the wheels are tucked close to the front of the fender. When flexed, they move in an arc toward the rear of the fender.

That's totally fine. It works well and is as designed.

So there's only one thing to do: find some new fenders... I'd rather have tooth surgery with a rock than add fenders made of diamond-plate (ugh) aluminum. The last thing I want to do is add MORE diamond plate to my trailer. Diamond plate is okay when it's clean, but I rarely clean my trailer, so that's an issue for me. So I'm going out in search of some aluminum smoothie radius fenders.

I'll keep you in the loop.....

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198

Make frame mounted fenders, worked for me.

Best of luck

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@WilliamA , I do get that you do not like your fenders, and I am not to judge what you like and do not like. This is all on you! 😉

But I do not think that your quest will be solved with round fenders, since tge travel arc will be the same. Unless you install them some what crooked, but what I know from you, I do not think you will like that either.

But you can sure prove me wrong. 😎

• SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 132

@WilliamA for you more than anyone else on this board the T@G is two different hobbies. Camping is one of them. But the greater one for you seems to be making modifications to your camper. Do what you love!

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

LuckyJ,

Yes. That'll take some rumination. I think I have the solution for that though.

SueBHunny,

Thanks....I think.... It's true that I enjoy problem solving, but it's also true that mechanical things just make more sense to me than social things. To paraphrase a line from a movie I enjoyed:

"I prefer tools. A tool always means what it says."

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

I'm with you William. The diamond plate is pretty bulletproof but not really attractive. Wouldn't mind some 1940s aerodynamic shape myself.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• BoomBoomBoomBoom Member Posts: 9

I have the round plastic fenders on the 2020 Tag XL. I love the shape but not the material. I checked out some roundish steel utility trailer fenders, but they were too small.

• zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 204

Check out Mean Bean trailers and the fenders they have on their "Meaner Bean" trailer, which is equipped with Timbren Axle-less suspension.......the design might be good for you.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)