Options

Installing ARB Awning

I have a T@G XL Boondock. The Yakima roof rack came with the camper and I want to mount an ARB awning on it. The problem that I see is that the bars on the rack are not level. I moved them a bit but don't see a way to get them level with out getting in the way of the Fantastic Fan. If mounted on a slant and set up the awning would be slanted and a big wind could grab it. Anyone else fixed this?

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

It could actually help get ride of water puddle, since it is best to install them with one corner lower. Simply play with it when you imstall it at camp ground.

Just a taught.

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

Wind can grab it no matter how much slant or lack of slant is on it. My awning is attached to the Boondock crossbars at an angle. Haven't used it a lot, but can't imagine a lot of issue with a bit of an angle.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options
    AnacortesArmyGuyAnacortesArmyGuy Member Posts: 25

I found a “level” position with them about 33” apart when I installed my Rhino Rack Sunseeker II awning, which is very similar to the ARB awing I believe. There is no interference with the roof vent with them in this position.

2017 T@G Max
    2016 Subaru Crosstrek
    Anacortes, WA

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

When I installed my Yakima Slim Shady (an ARB clone) I put the front bar as far forward as it would go and used a carpenter's level to set the rear one so it was level at road height. As Army guy says, 33" was about where mine came out too. Sounds right. The bar brackets were a bit tricky to set because the tension bolts for the crossbars wouldn't clear the roof rack bolts until I backed them way out. It was a bit putzy but it can be done.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

Anything called Slim Shady in my day would have been a hard sell. :o

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Tom,
    I think it's appropriately named. But now I'm starting to re-think the auto insurance aftermarket parts rider I bought from his cousin "Slim Chance."

As to the "in my day" thing, Tom. I'm afraid we are getting closer and closer to that target demographic every day.
    "Well, no, they don't fit...But they were $3 bucks!!!!"

Gotta go....UPS just dropped of my case of dehydrated water bottles...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358
    edited May 2018

Yes William..as we age the “in my day” thing is something I always wanted to avoid. But here I am. I will pay more attention to this in the future. But you know in my day..............

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Get off my lawn !

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193
  • Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Ya know, I have had a vintage teardrop, an Casita, An 61 Avion, a 59 DeVille Canned ham. All I rebuilt, modified etc.,
    I brought home a 2017 last week. Nothing on the roof racks. I got close to 20MPG w/ our 2013 4Runner. Beats the hell out of 13.5 with those others. Got God awful close to 20MPG, And I do miss them all. I am going to avoid the add to roof rack stuff and leave her alone. Kinda sort of, I'm taking the roof rack off of the trailer.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature