Winterizing Woe

After looking at the calendar and realizing I’ve got no more open slots to take the trailer out this momth, I went into winterizing. This a first for me as we kept it winterized from the factory when we picked it up last November.

Should be simple enough.... drain tank, close tank drain, add trailer plumbing anitifreeze, run pump..... and it took me 3 trips to the store and a few hours. First mistake was thinking I could get by with one gallon, second was thinking 2 gallons. Ended up being the magic number before there was enough fluid to get fluid through the faucet. Second mistake was drained the water out of the faucet before pumping the pink fluid. Took quite a while to get the system to draw liquid again. I recommend closing the water tank input cover before attempting to run the pump as it seemed to “suck” better.

Now for the problem.... I’ve never used the outdoor shower on my 2017 Boondock. Figuring some water prorobably entered into some portion of that plumbing, I went to run antifreeze through it as well only to find out I can’t get the hose into the quick connector. Anybody else have this problem?

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
Jay

Comments

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Did you try to install the hose with the pump in on position? It is much easier to install the hose when pump is at off, and faucet is open to release pressure in the system.

And just so you know, many of us winterize w/o antifreeze, simply by drainning the tank with trailer at an angle, than draining, blowing air in the system and unplunging to hoses, replug after or when pulling out from winter. Worked here in -30 weather.

Good luck!

• Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

@LuckyJ said:
    Did you try to install the hose with the pump in on position? It is much easier to install the hose when pump is at off, and faucet is open to release pressure in the system.

And just so you know, many of us winterize w/o antifreeze, simply by drainning the tank with trailer at an angle, than draining, blowing air in the system and unplunging to hoses, replug after or when pulling out from winter. Worked here in -30 weather.

Good luck!

Good idea, but the pump was off. Just returned from the garage and was finally able to plug the hose in. Took quite a bit of pushing (with the quick connect pushed in) but got it inserted and running. Pull the batteries and I’m done.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Disconnect the outlet hose (pump inlet) and stick it in a small bowl of rv antifreeze. You can winterize the system with a quart or two of antifreeze. No need to do the freshwater tank if it's (mostly) drained.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

@WilliamA said:
    Disconnect the outlet hose (pump inlet) and stick it in a small bowl of rv antifreeze. You can winterize the system with a quart or two of antifreeze. No need to do the freshwater tank if it's (mostly) drained.
    WilliamA

Good call (as always) WilliamA. Seemed like there should have been a better way.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay