Options

Options for side tents

I'm looking to see what everyone is using as a side vestibule tent. I see some that are custom fitted for the T@g, and others that are not designed for the camper specifically, but still work. I just want something that gives me an area to step out and get dressed with privacy and some protection from the elements before entering the camper. Maybe even something that can double as a restroom privacy tent when I get my porta-potty setup for boondocking. Not wanting to spend $400-$500 bucks; just something affordable, compact for storage, and sturdy. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    gtogto Member Posts: 25
    edited February 2019

Not for a t@g but same principle. I bought a pop up lightspeed tent from Amazon for $99. Sets up in about 1 minute. Not PahaQue quality but good. Since I was using it on a mypod I ordered the collar door with zipper from PahaQue that they use on their 5x7 for $60. Took the whole thing to a sewing place and had the collar sewn into the tent $15. About $175 total but the reason I did it was for quick set up and take down when we’re traveling and staying a night here and there.

Photos edited for size. Sharon

• Options
    HavenwoodHavenwood Member Posts: 11
    edited February 2019

Good morning! I modified a couple of Ozark Trail 2-Room Instant Shower/Utility Shelters from Walmart to make side tents for our T@G . They measure 7' x 3.5' x 7' high. Once I got started, it was fairly easy to do as long as I was slow and careful. Nothing difficult about doing it, just have to get past the part of cutting into a perfectly good tent. ;-) Because the Ozark Trail tents are straight, up/down vertical, (not slanted) on the front and back sides, you get a nice, tight fit up against the side of the T@G and they'll attach directly to the door without the need for a connecting tube.

We are going into our third season of using them and they have been awesome in so many ways. They're perfect for stand-up changing, privacy and protection from the elements. We've camped in heat, high winds, rain and snow with them. Quick and easy setup and take-down.

They provide a lot of extra storage space as well as a place to stow shoes, hang jackets, damp towels, etc. The list goes on. Can't even remember how many times we've said, "Thank goodness we have these".

One of my favorite, unexpected advantages is that they allow us to sleep with the T@G doors open and have the best of both worlds: tent camping while sleeping in a nice comfy bed!

As they each have two rooms, when we are boondocking, we use the backroom of one for porta-potty and the backroom of the other for shower.

Some campgrounds do not allow you to put up tents in a camper site, but because these are attached, and a smaller size, we've never had a problem. Most everywhere we've camped our camp hosts have come over to check out and compliment our setup.

I paid $119.97 each for them in 2017. See they are now down to $79.00, so I may pick up a couple more as they are very versatile. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-2-Room-Instant-Shower-Utility-Shelter/42391766

Just now joined this forum so I could answer your question so not sure if linking to Facebook is acceptable. If it is, I posted directions for making them as well as a few photos on the T@G Facebook site. Easier to link to than than repost it all here.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/777150495737351/permalink/1477416032377457/

If Facebook link is not acceptable, let me know and I'll copy it all onto this forum.

Hope this helps!

Here's a pic of them in snow...

• Options
    tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

Very cool! A question, can the tents be installed with the back room placed towards the front of the trailer instead of the back?

• Options
    HavenwoodHavenwood Member Posts: 11

Yes, on the "driver's" side of the T@G only. To place it that way on the "passenger" side, you'd need to move the door from one side of the tent to the other before doing the attachment modification. Either way, if you want a tent on both sides, you'll need to move the door on one of them.

Although... now that I think of it, you could place the "driver's" side tent towards the front and "passenger" side tent towards the back and you wouldn't need to move any doors.

Spent a long time debating placing them towards the front, mainly because it leaves the window uncovered, which is nice. Finally decided on the way you see in the photo to give it more stability. If you look @ my Facebook posting you'll see there is a shock-cord that attaches the tent to the top of the T@G, so it need to be aligned w/ the side to do this. There is a window inside the tent (I enlarged it a bit), that pretty much aligns with the T@G window, so, opening the outside window of the tent let's you still see outside and get air.

This is where I picked up the idea that was the inspiration for my tents. It may give you additional ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvbsJDDaYKg

• Options
    TagCarenTagCaren Member Posts: 4

I just checked with PahaQue and the side tent will now fit the Boondock, and they said it is an easier set up because the poles have been redesigned. I loved the one I had that was stolen except for the set up which almost caused a divorce every time. Does anyone have the new version and knows if the set up is easier?

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

I wonder if the new poles will fit the old tent?

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    TagCarenTagCaren Member Posts: 4

I went to the teardrop shop website and used the chat window to ask questions, so I bet you could ask them that way.

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

NuCamps accessory store now has a full range of tents

https://allproadventures.com/

2017 T@G Max