Options

Boondock XL Roof Rack Basket and Interior Tie Downs

What all are you guys running for a roof rack basket that does not impede the fan opening? One of the factory pictures has a reduced width basket (skinny warrior??) but does it have the extended length option? Is there a closed carrier that works better?

How do you secure items inside the teardrop from slopping around and what do you store inside? Do you store stuff on top of the mattresses?

As always, thank you.

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited April 2019

Some use a full basket, but cut an opening for the roof vent cover. Some, like you said will use a long skinny basket, a rocket box (ski box) of the right witdh would work along side of the roof vent cover. Some are available so they open on both side, so you could have 2, one on each side.

As for inside storage, when I do, I try to use soft duffle bags and si py throw then inside. If I have to carry heavier and solid Item, I try to kind of weight tyen down with soft duffle bags and blanket, so that they will not bounce as much, will remain in central location and if impact with walls, will minimized dammage. And yep, I leave the mattress under, providing some road bumps absorption. It also help to keep those items where they are. I will use a tarp or an old blanket on the beding.

• Options
    SomemedicSomemedic Member Posts: 89

You could cut and reweld a portion of that basket. I shouldn't think it would be too difficult. I would also suggest wider load bars and offsetting the basket whenever possible. Hard cased cargo boxes are your best friend in this instance versus the load Warrior basket

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I removed my load warrior basket. By the time you trim out for the roof vent hole there's not really a lot of usable floor space left. Offsetting it to one side would help. If I were to do it again and needed more exterior storage (I don't) I'd use a skinny rocket box. The other seldom mentioned negative is the huge...enormous actually, aerodynamic drag. My roof rack accessories cost me 3 mpg minimum. That's the real reason I took it all off. There are better ways to haul stuff. Aerodynamics matter.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited April 2019

@WilliamA

"Aerodynamics matter.". Say the guys who push a 4x8 sheet of veneer in the wind everytime hw goes on the road with his jeep Wrangler. Lol.

Just kidding you. Yes, roof top goodies on a rack will drag and cost fuel. No matter how people are trying to say otherwise. Unless you are already driving a school bus. :) or a truck or big cars that is already doing 8 miles to tye gallon unloaded.

• Options
    AspenAspen Member Posts: 45

I purchased the Kuat Mini Skinny and installed it on my Subaru Outback roof rack last weekend. I originally planned on using it for the T@G (compatible with stock Yakima roof bars) but it's just easier for me to reach on my vehicle. It's a solid, well made, easy to install product that will clear the roof vent. It's also longer than I expected and has an extender option you can purchase separately if you need more storage space. There is a bike fork mount built into the rack so you have that option, as well (the selling point for me!). The wind deflector is attractive and does not rattle or make noise like I was expecting. Very happy with it so far and the reviews were encouraging, as well!

• Options
    JumperJumper Member Posts: 70

Mini Skinny here, good quality.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Careful there...luckyJ and I are starting to get a flashback! That's an awesome rack. Speaking from experience, no ladder needed. Just stand on the tire...
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

Jumper, is your T@G an XL? I have the 5 foot T@G Boondock and have been looking at the Yakima SkinnyWarrior but would be concerned about vent clearance.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    JumperJumper Member Posts: 70