Options

Total newbie, what should I look for in a generator?

It is my understanding that I will need a generator if I am at a place where there are no hook-ups if I want to run the A/C. I have only camped in tents, and haven't done that in years. So having just bought my t@g I have lots of questions.

Comments

• Options
    MichaelMichael Member Posts: 45

Welcome! Enjoy your stay! 😀

While you will probably get a few responses on this but what I bought is a Sportsman 2200 dual fuel generator. Was 449 I think from Walmart. Granted it's not a name like Honda but I like the fact that it will run off your propane tank. I don't ever plan on putting gasoline in it. I've only got about 10 hours on it so far but it has been fine. One thing with these small inverter generators, you want to break them in correctly. There are a few YouTube videos that talk about the best ways to to so. Lots of good people here that will share their experiences with you so ask away.....

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

Welcome @SueJ1959, ask away!

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    SueJ1959SueJ1959 Member Posts: 9

Am I likely to need a generator to run a CPAP?

• Options

@SueJ1959, you need a generator to run the air conditioner, but keep in mind, most campgrounds have restrictions on when you can run it due to noise. You don’t need a generator to run CPAP. First, can your CPAP run off DC, AC, or both? If it only runs off AC, then you need an inverter to be able to use your battery power. Then you need to know how many amps you need over night to make sure your battery is big enough. So, you really need to know how you plan to camp, what are your power needs, and then figure out the best way to meet those needs. Depending on where you camp and what your needs are, you may be able to use a larger battery and a 100 amp solar suitcase instead of a generator. Just depends🙂

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

My opinion is noise is an issue even if it's running during the proper time of day. The last thing you want is to be "That Guy" where people have to scream to talk over your generator. So get a quiet one, but most CG's will not let you run any generator during quiet hours.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

Any of the small inverter genererators will serve you well. People swear by their Hondas and Yamahas, but given budget constraints I purchased a Westinghouse 2200 from Home Depot for about $500. It is really quiet and does a great job running the AC when we don't have shore power.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• Options

Oh, I definitely want quiet! Sharon_is_Sam We mostly pan to camp in campgrounds and be able to plug in. But I don't want to be stuck on a hot humid night and not be able to sleep because I am too hot. And I don't know the difference between AC and DC at this point. I am looking at travel CPAPs at the moment that run on batteries so that I won't have to worry about that part :-)

SueBHunny, I am liking the idea of a small, quiet generator. I will look into the Westinghouse 2200. Thanks.

• Options

@SueJ1959, you may like to explore how folks manage their CPAP. AC is shorepower and DC is battery power. I guess I didn't realize that there were CPAP machines with their own battery supply!

• Options
    JeeptagJeeptag Member Posts: 28

I highly agree with @Michael the sportsman dual fuel inverter is by far the way to go if you plan to keep the 20lb propane that comes with the t@g. It is super quiet and I know people that use them with just propane and have never had an issue with the carb like using gas. And they are just as quiet as the Yamaha for much cheaper at Walmart.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@Sharon_is_SAM said:
    @SueJ1959, you may like to explore how folks manage their CPAP. AC is shorepower and DC is battery power. I guess I didn't realize that there were CPAP machines with their own battery supply!

Like he said, but to be more precise.

AC = atlternative current. Mostly standard house current, 110, 220, 400 et all.

DC = direct current, mostly battery power of any type, even your cell phone is power by DC power. The wall transfo make it from 110 AC and turn it in around 4 volt DC. Car electricity is 12v. Some old style used to be 6 volt, big rig and industrial machine are often 24 volts.

• Options
    SomemedicSomemedic Member Posts: 89

CPAP Battery - Philips Respironics Remstar CPAP and BiPaps (Single Battery)  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H637L82/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Pi6WCb17BJX5P

My set up will incorporate 2 of these, one for the old lady's and one for mine. Plug it in whilst driving down the road (either in the TV or the tag) and that should charge it up. If your staying someplace for a few days you can charge it back up with solar or using the tow vehicle or off a generator. This would leave the house battery alone... to run the lights and fan.

• Options

Thanks for all the good info!

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

I have a Resmed S9 CPAP unit and know your concerns well, have experienced the anxiety and horror of having a dead battery and inverter warning alarm in the dead of night, etc. You do however have options available and if you take some time to make an educated decision, you can rest easily at night.

Buying a generator is an option but it is also added work and IMHO, more work than is necessary. Depending on what CPAP unit you have you should look into purchasing a 12 volt DC CPAP power supply that will look like and operate similarly as your current plug and adapter for your CPAP. I bought one from Resmed and it is a great alternative and will allow you to run your CPAP off your battery. An inverter works but you will need a large enough inverter to run your CPAP as all inverters are not equal and anything less than 300 watts won’t normally run the machine in most instances. You certainly won’t be able to run the CPAP humidifier either unless you have a robust battery setup or unless you are plugged into shore power (e.g. at the campground power pedestal).

Ask yourself and consider whether the majority if camping will be remote boondock style camping or in a campground before going down the generator trail or even think about buying a good solar panel too, something that will allow you to charge up your battery. If you are a serious camper you should also consider going to a 2 battery (6 volt batteries) setup and allowing yourself to have extra power in the back country.

Cpaps do create a challenge when camping and traveling but are manageable and you can certainly get by the hurdles and anxiety therein if you do some research and planning.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    JoabmcJoabmc Member Posts: 64

Like others have posted, an inverter/ generator will be the quietest of the bunch. I don’t use mine much, so opted for the Harbor Freight 2000W option. I bought it more for a standby if the solar can’t keep up or if we need to run the A/C. It’s just as quiet as the others, has a decent runtime and fits on the tongue of our T@G. I can run the A/C, microwave... just not at the same time which is fine and can charge the batteries on cloudy days. I’m not much for “campgrounds”, nothing wrong with them but just isn’t my cup of tea. We usually Boondock when able to and rather have privacy when we’re out the weekend. Didn’t have that option this weekend and it was like staying at a generator convention even though sunlight was good and we didn’t have to turn ours on.

19 T@G XL Boondock Edge
    07 Lexus GX 470

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I just purchased and used a Baja (BAi911LP) generator from Home Depot ($239), which runs on 1lb or 20lb propane. Runs AC and Nordcold just fine. Also good to top off battery with charger and run projector for movies. I refill my 1lb canisters with no problems (always weight to assure not over or under filled). FYI the Baja is identical to the Ryobi (RYi911LP) generator which Home Depot also sells for $299. The only difference is one has 2 year. verses 3 year warranty. Home Depot Protection plan (2 additional years) costs $35.

• Options
    MikeLuckyMikeLucky Member Posts: 19

@JamesDow said:
    I just purchased and used a Baja (BAi911LP) generator from Home Depot ($239), which runs on 1lb or 20lb propane. Runs AC and Nordcold just fine. Also good to top off battery with charger and run projector for movies. I refill my 1lb canisters with no problems (always weight to assure not over or under filled). FYI the Baja is identical to the Ryobi (RYi911LP) generator which Home Depot also sells for $299. The only difference is one has 2 year. verses 3 year warranty. Home Depot Protection plan (2 additional years) costs $35.

Wait, so you are tellling me this 900 watt generator allowed you to run the AC?

• Options
    JumperJumper Member Posts: 70
  • Options
    willbingham1willbingham1 Member Posts: 63

Yamaha 2000 at Costco for about $550. Great machines and very quiet as much as Honda 2000. I never considered propane gens but that sounds nifty. My Yamaha 2000vi (which I bought on line a few years back for about $820) runs well for me but I use as only backup to my little solar set up. Bill

• Options

Yes a Baja (BAi911LP) generator 700 Watt running/900 peak can run the AC without any issues. The AC draws 4amp at max power. 120v x 4 Amp = 480 watts. My tests using Poniie PN2000 Plug-in Kilowatt Electricity Usage Monitor Electrical Power Consumption Watt Meter Tester (Amazon $26.99) show the consumption at 470 watts cumulative with ac fin on and trailer converter. The main reason I got the Baja generator was for the weight (26 lbs). The fuel source (refilled propane canisters) was also a plus. I have no problems running the generator, AC and battery charger at the same time. Highly recommend. Note the only difference that I know of between Baja ($239) and Ryobi ($299) is one additional year warranty. For $35 you can purchase Home Depot additional 2 year replacement warranty. Attached is an Excel chart of the power usage that I measured with my T@G. Hope this helps.

• Options
    MikeLuckyMikeLucky Member Posts: 19

Well, that's a gamechanger for me. I have a !000 watt sportsman inverter/generator that is very quiet that I assumed needed to be upgraded to run the AC.

• Options

For a generator, keep in mind what your needs are. My choice was for a propane generator because of the fuel issues and went with wattage which could power all of my T@G power needs at once. Finally and most important, I went with weight of 26 lbs verses 48 lbs of most gas powered generators in the 1600-2200 watt range. My neighbor has that size, which we use about 5 times a year. (Tent camping) Moving it once a day is hard on my knees and the smell of gas in the vehicle as we go to and from our destination is annoying. Refilling propane 1lb canisters is easy, cheap and just requires an adapter ($15) and I use a kitchen scale ($22) to assure that I do not overfill them. I have never had a problem.

My measured wattage adding all peak usage of everything on a T@G is around 665 watts.
    My T@G is a 2018, so other years may vary slightly.

• Options

Baja Model BAi911LP Propane Generator fuel usage. - I ran some tests on fuel usage using the Air Conditioner (constant on) with outside temperatures in the mid 90s. I averaged about 90 grams of propane use for 20 minutes use time. (270g per hr.) With that draw a 1lb Coleman style propane canister would last about 1.8 hours. If you refill the canisters that would be about $.49 of gas. If you tap into the 20lb tank in the front of the T@B (bought 5' extension gas hose $13.99), than you could get over 65 hours of full on usage. That usage is with full on with the AC, which normally would be cycling on and off, so the actual usage would likely be considerably less.

• Options
    rich67rich67 Member Posts: 165

James, thanks for the info on the generator. I just have a question, since I am also a noob at generator stuff, and not too well versed in wattages, amps etc. I see that a typical 10,000 BTU window AC requires 1200 running watts and 1800 starting watts. Based on that, I don't see how a 900 watt generator such as the Baja would handle the T@gs AC... is it a smaller (less than 10k BTU) AC? Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt you've tested it and it works, but I am not understanding the logistics behind the required wattage and what power the generator needs to be in order to run it. I was always under the impression I needed a minimum of a 2000 watt generator in order to run my trailer fully while boondocking. Now I am learning I can get away with this, and I am pretty stoked about it...but just not understanding how this can work. Thanks...

• Options

My stock T@G ac is 5,000 Buh. My testing under multiple conditions show the max draw at 470 watts. Everything possible in the trailer is less than 700 watt. I have posted a chart a few times. Not at home now, so i cannot send. My propane generator puts ot 900 running watts. Weighs 26 lbs. Can run off of 1lb or 20lb source tank.I refill my 1lb cans. Just as quiet than most others. Highly recomend. Would also recomend Renogy solar suitcase. Start with 100 watt Voyager setup, which you cold expand if you ever felt the need. I see no reason for more at this time. Good luck. Firther questions always welcome.

• Options
    gtogto Member Posts: 25

I have a 2016 mypod with 5000 btu ac. The baja runs the ac just fine with no overload. I bought a 5 lb propane canister and adapter from Amazon...fits the baja and much lighter than the big 20 lb.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271
    edited February 2020

I have been camping with a CPAP for over twenty years. A couple trailers have had on board batteries. Two major annual gatherings have been 3-7 days long. I have friends with vintage trailers and only use the battery for three nights or more for their CPAP. One auto/trailer type battery can last longer. I usually have shore power available. When there is no shore power I might use on board battery 2-3 nights for the CPAP. We have never invested in a generator. I have a battery pack/jumper/USB Port/ lighter socket unit I use when needed for the CPAP. It has lasted three to four nights in the trailer and when I do my Primative tent camping. Harbor Freight unit lasted 5 years or more. Now have a unit from home depot. Paid less that a hundred bucks each. I am considering two for my planned week long tent camping.
    Also handy to jumper your neighbor big rigs. I have bailed out a few Tow Vehicles and one Class A RV stuck in the mud with that thing and a recovery strap with my 4runner. Sorry that does not solve the AC issue. Got carried away there.
    We have gotten by with fans when even over a 100 degrees. But we have not had to deal much with humidity like folks in the east.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature