Wall Attachments - Best Techniques

57even57even Member Posts: 5

Anxiously awaiting the delivery of a TAG XL Boondock later this fall and trying to buy a few things here and there while I await doing the pickup. Trying to find ways to maximize storage and the walls seem like best place to add some storage options. But not sure what the best technique is to attach, I've seen some advise against hammering I assume to prevent leaks from the outside. But what works best for you all? Is any part of the trailer magnetic? Do suction cups work in the heat? I've seen people reference velcro as the best bet for attaching art to the wall would that work for some basic storage containers as well? I'm also trying to come up with some ways to customize the interior to make it feel more homey without doing any damage to the vehicle... I'd like to have some form of window coverings, what do you recommend for attaching curtains? Are there any peel and stick wallpapers that work well when the camper is storage that won't peel off in the GA heat? Would decals work better? Really just want this to be like the cool fort I never had as a kid...lol Any advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Comments

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I am very much into minimizing any damage to my T@G.
    I would strongly recommend 3M Command Hooks/Velcro.
    I do a lot of boondocking in the desert in the summer and have had no heat related issues with the hooks.
    The interior wall texture on my 2018 does not support the use of suction cups
    Using suction cups on the exterior does work very well.
    If you have a Jensen television, I recommend purchasing an on/off switch to eliminate the blue led power draw when off.
    I would limit what you place on the walls until you have camped a few times.

• 57even57even Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2020

Thanks for the advice on command strips and suction cups. I'm taking it that's a no on magnetic surfaces? If so that's a bummer, I found some awesome magnetic options at the Container Store. I wonder if I found a lightweight sheet of metal if I could velcro or command strip that to the wall and still make it work? Trying to adapt from the magnet techniques that worked for us on cruise ship walls since I won't be taking one of those for the foreseeable future...

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Very few magnetic surfaces inside and out. Lightweight steel would do the job. Velcro on the interior wall and on the steel plate. Protect the steel edges (black electrical tape?) so they do not cut into the wall surface when removing.
    Other option just use Velco on both surfaces and forget the magnets.

• 57even57even Member Posts: 5

But there's so many cute magnets out there!!

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517

They have an aluminum frame. Command strips are your best option as there really isn’t a means of attaching to the sidewall without creating damage to the trailer. I hung small pictures up in my trailer with the heavy duty command strips and they never came down during travel. 👍🏻

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

@57even ...we used some magnetic knife holders to hang some things..either screwed into wood or industrial strength velcro...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• rich67rich67 Member Posts: 164

I've tried everything. Keep in mind, a lot of the peel and stick stuff might not work well if you are living in a moist environment, I think primarily due to the wallpaper on the walls. The only thing that works for me is the high strength velcro. I use it to hang up pretty much everything in the Tag, and it holds even in the hottest weather. 3M makes it; it's on Amazon.

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

The secret to "command" anything...is the prep..I wash the area with rubbing alcohol and I let it dry for about one hour...then go back and apply the command strips..may wait to put the hook on but if you put the hook on do not hang anything on it for 24 hours...never lost anything off the walls...am using the same technique in our T@b now and they're sticking although others in the forums says they can't get anything to hold...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder