Options

Storage box latches

I got tired of the cheesy rubber latch popping off daily with the resulting lid pop up. For a few bucks, I added these box latches. Easy-peasy.

I put two on as they come in packages of two. One on each side about 15" in from the rear edge of the box lid. I used 3/16" pop-rivets to put them on. Works great and now allows a way to lock the box if I so desire.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Simple upgrade.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

I may have to do something like that on my T@G. My latch has never worked. It hasn't been a problem, but it still makes me nervous.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517

I've never had any issues with the rubber bungee style latch. But do like the metal latch mod you did. Nice!

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    Otis_60Otis_60 Member Posts: 37

I went a different direction to get a better latch. I got a whole new container with locking latches.

Thanks,
    Greg
    2017 Little Guy XL MAX Outback Ed.
    1st TV 2015 MB GL450
    2nd TV 2016 Mazda CX-5
    3rd TV 1999 Ford F350 7.3l diesel

• Options

@Otis_60 said:
    I went a different direction to get a better latch. I got a whole new container with locking latches.

Did you remove the front tub?

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

don't mind the latch but since it can look like it's closed when it's open (vertical position) I always give it a lift to make sure...drives hubby crazy...since he's the one that locks it...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options

Hi Mike,
    Yes I did. I would post a pic, but I haven't quite figured that one out yet.

Thanks,
    Greg
    1st TV 2015 MB GL450
    2nd TV 2016 Mazda CX-5

• Options

Here is a pic of my new locking latches. You have to look real close.

Thanks,
    Greg
    1st TV 2015 MB GL450
    2nd TV 2016 Mazda CX-5

• Options

Nice setup Otis! have you traveled very far with the bikes on top of the trailer? If you have a wet cell battery inside that storage box you might want to consider installing some vents on the sides as batteries do give off gas and could explode.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

Half a step ahead of you Mike. I installed the vent on the back side so as to minimize the likelihood of water intrusion.

Thanks,
    Greg
    1st TV 2015 MB GL450
    2nd TV 2016 Mazda CX-5

• Options
    ElPhoenixElPhoenix Member Posts: 40

@Otis_60 I know this post is a bit older, but do you have pictures of the setup inside your tongue box? I'm mostly trying to determine how to move and mount the propane regulator and power cables from the battery. Your setup looks amazing!

• Options

@ElPhoenix said:
    @Otis_60 I know this post is a bit older, but do you have pictures of the setup inside your tongue box? I'm mostly trying to determine how to move and mount the propane regulator and power cables from the battery. Your setup looks amazing!

Sorry, no pics. But what I did was unmount the regulator from the front of the trailer and fill the holes with sealant and put the screws back in.

I used a hole saw to put holes in the new box to feed the electrical and LP gas hose through. VERY IMPORTANT - file any burrs off the holes and put a rubber grommet in the hole to prevent chaffing of the lines.

I mounted the LP tank on the starboard (passenger) side of the box and the battery/solar connector/cutoff switch on the port (drivers) side.

Thanks,
    Greg
    1st TV 2015 MB GL450
    2nd TV 2016 Mazda CX-5

• Options
    FroggerFrogger Member Posts: 156
    edited April 2020

@WilliamA--what length pop rivets for the latches, wondering about clearance on the backside of the lid? Never used 'em, but I think my neighbor has the tool, like the latch idea...thanks

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2020

@Frogger said:
    @WilliamA--what length pop rivets for the latches, wondering about clearance on the backside of the lid? Never used 'em, but I think my neighbor has the tool, like the latch idea...thanks

I was concerned about the poprivets snagging on the lid, but that hasn't been the case. I'm using poprivets in 3/16" X 1/2". That's the size I use for just about everything. If the rivets are too long, after installing them, just take a file or grinder and knock off the end. You can safely trim an installed poprivet down to the "BB" (small round ball end) inside the rivet. I left mine "wild" and they don't snag.

When I initially installed them, I thought it might be a bit much. Now that they've been on there for awhile, I actually like them very much. They are not too tight, but still pull the lid down firmly to the gasket and keep it snug. They also prevent vibration and rattling that I had experienced with the lid before.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    BobrocksBobrocks Member Posts: 17

Here is my solution to this issue. I can lock the lid when away and then unlock it when traveling. Nuts are installed with red loctite. Picked these up at ace hardware.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Bobrocks.. Good idea, Should have thought of that. I used on the suicide doors of the big shiny unit that went away. Might have one in my drawers of goodies out in the garage.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    lipciolipcio Member Posts: 41

Loctite is a good idea but I would also suggest to use some type of lock washers (if they're not there yet).