Options

California itinerary

WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Hey all,
Now that the (current) round of upgrades is finished, I'm busy working up an itinerary for my next big excursion. I am still working on my "finish the 48" states list. I've been to most of the lower 48 but have not yet been to California, Oregon, Washington or Nevada. I thought I'd try and see what there is to see in the warmer of the remaining states.
I'm planning (loosely) to hit the following California spots: Glamis, The Salton Sea and Death Valley. I will probably hit the road in January, though I don't have a date yet. I'm wondering if those of you who live on the left coast have any travel and weather information on the Mono Lake area. It's a bit of a drive from Death Valley but I can get there and then turn east into Nevada as well. I see it's (Mono Lake) at 6,200 feet of altitude and have looked at the average temps for that region. I'd love to see it but if I want to freeze various body parts, I can just stay here.

Any tip and reports from forward observers who have frequented that area would be appreciated.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358
    edited November 2017

The following is a very good representation of the weather at mono Lake. Highs are 40 degrees if your lucky. Lows are the killer at 19 degrees. No matter how you look at it your going to be cold. Itā€™s right on the back side of the Sierras and as such shares some of that winter weather effect...http://www.intellicast.com/local/history.aspx?location=USCA9582
    Keep in mind that Tioga Pass(Hwy 120)will definitely be closed so that wonā€™t be available East/West travel through California.I would recommend you try to include Joshua Tree if your doing Death Valley. Itā€™s a beautiful area.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

Tom,
    Thanks. That's pretty much a copy of what I have been reading. I'll most surely be making time for Joshua Tree!.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Sorry you arenā€™t doing more of California in your journeys. The Desert is great in the winter but youā€™re limited in what you will experience in California. I totally get it when you have limited time and vast travel distances messed up with weather. I hope you have a great time in the Golden State.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

I would highly recommend stopping in to see Hurst Castle - drive up Big Sur - Carmel, the Monterrey 17 mile drive around the Monterrey peninsula, Northern California redwood forests/Avenue if the Giants.... A once in a lifetime deal and breathtaking!

Laguna Seca Mazda Raceway has a very nice camping area and excellent facilities, makes a great base camp!

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    blackc2004blackc2004 Member Posts: 23

If you're looking to explore the eastern sierra, I would suggest a road trip from Death valley up to Bishop, camp around bishop where the winter temps aren't as bad and do a day trip up to Mammoth and Mono Lake. It's well worth the trek.. IMHO.

There's lots to do/see between death valley and bishop area. The winter isn't the "best" time to go, but it's still beautiful.

• Options
    edited November 2017

Mike has identified some spectacular areas along the California Coast. However, all these locations along the coast have been affected by last years wet winter. A huge slide at Mud Creek currently blocks all North/South travel at Highway 1. The following link shows what the most current road conditions look like and what the Mud Creek slide looks like.
    http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/highway_conditions.html
    http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/02/big-sur-caltrans-plans-new-roadway-over-mud-creek-slide/

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

Part of the highway was gone when I was out there and you could only drive up to the town of Big Sur. I ended up driving around the area and up to Monterrey via 101. Mother Nature does have the final say and it is always a good idea to do some investigating prior to traveling in some of these locations.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    edited December 2017

Got up this a.m. at 5:30 to feed the woodstove. Outside temp is -8. Kathy and my son were curled up between the mattresses in the big bed. Went out to the kitchen to make coffee. There was a family of Inuits in the kitchen trying to thaw out the last of the ice cream, frozen so stiff you could fashion an axe head from it. They said they were just headed to Florida to see a Tampa Bay game, but they have ALL of their stuff. I reached over the flock of penguins huddling around the open refrigerator door and got the creamer. Fed the woodstove and came back in.
    It's a bit nippy. I should probably put on an extra sweater this morning.... And some pants. If December is any indication, I can't wait for it to get cold...

It's not too long now before I'll be heading to Arizona for T@bonanza. Then Glamis, the Salton Sea and Joshua Tree.

I'll post my itinerary soon.
    WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Man, I think you got Inuit wanabees!
    'Mine are coming this afternoon, we will have iced coffee while laying in our long chairs in the yard during our first snow storm of the season. We might, maybe make a small bond fire, just so the tv does not freeze up. ;)

• Options
    ericmoorecoericmooreco Member Posts: 46

Hi William , are you on your trip to California? I don't think its that cold out there, considering they are going thru fires the past week.

2015 T@G
    Colorado Springs

• Options

Not yet Eric. Third week of January. Can't wait...

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Weather report from California...Sunny and warm to hot. Not a usual December.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

Fires out of control but not near usual camp sites. No fear.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

I'll be heading to Arizona after Christmas and out if thecderp freeze! Yeeehaw!!!!

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    edited January 2018

I've got many things yet to do in prep for getting out of here in a couple of weeks but have been putting them all off as it's still so bitter cold I'm not motivated to do the work. I might hook up soon and head south (to Madison, Wi) and put my trailer in my son's garage where it's "warm". He said the other day it was above 0 in the garage! Sounds good to me. I want to pull my wheels and checky, checky. Also need to move some things around a bit and replace the lugnuts. I'm still running the factory 2 piece lugnuts and won't go far from home on those. I've got the new ones but haven't been able to brave the temps long enough to put them on. We're all bumps and bruises around here because it's a daily fistfight to see who has to go out and check the mail. It'll start to warm up.....someday.....

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Temps here have been in the teens and lower since Christmas which is not usual and now we are in the middle of a bombogenesis. Hows that for a new weather term? All I know is that its snowing and blowing around making life here crappy. Only 80 some odd days till spring. B)B)

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options

Hey all,
    A few "in-trip" photos to share...

At "T@BAZONA" outside Mesa Az. Had a great time for 4 days.

Off in the desert around the Superstition Mountains east of Mesa, Az.

Imperial Sand Dunes (Glamis) in Ca. A great drive down from Blythe takes one all the way across the dune field and into the Imperial Valley south of The Salton Sea.

Some drooly, high-horsepower foolishness at the Glamis Dunes that I'd love to have had a hand in putting together. Ah well, another life...

On to the Salton Sea. I drove up the north shore and got as far as the State Park and campground where I'll be for two days. Then it's on to Joshua Tree and environs.

I'll keep ya posted...

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Sunshine everywhere! Looks like great fun.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

you should post some of your trip pictures over on the TDN app, its little slow over there right now. http://teardropnation.com/

2015 T@G
    Colorado Springs

• Options

Eric,
    I tried a few months ago to make the TDN thing work but couldn't get the hang of it. Maybe I will try again and see what I can come up with. Dang technology....

How's the weather up in Co. Springs? I'm thinking of taking the "northern" route back to I-76 and then east...

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Glad you are having a great time William! We are enjoying SW AZ but have been working too hard down here fixing up our 28' trailer. I'm installing a solar system now and should bd fully functional in about a week.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

This week the springs been in the 50's, very dry, and red flag fire warnings the past couple days. The red flag due to warm weather, wind, and not much moisture.
    There was snow storm a week ago, the first time this year we had to shovel the drive way.
    You'll prob come across some snow from Denver out to Nebraska, but roads will be clear.

2015 T@G
    Colorado Springs