Options

No Slide out Shelf for Yeti Coolers in the 2021 TAGs

2»

Comments

• Options
    jackmbernsteinjackmbernstein Member Posts: 27

So, unscrew the panel/shelf . There are four screws. When you lower the shelf, you’ll see a mass of wires. Look for the orange and white pair. I found the orange to be positive and the white negative. I drilled a 1.25” hole into the panel. I then spliced the leads to the positive (center) and negative leads of the cigarette outlet, confirming polarity. The outlet was then mounted into the hole I drilled. Then replaced panel. That’s it.

2021 T@G named Amelia Pond
    2020 Mazda CX-5
    Englewood, OH

• Options

Here is the plug I used.

2020 Mazda CX-5
    Englewood, OH

• Options

Iceco received. Connected to 12V power through my outlet. Awaiting installation sliding shelf. I prefer the refrigerator in this orientation. The only negative is that the fans are in the rear. So.... with the back hatch closed, heat could build up. nuCamp inferred they vented the Norco through/ into the floor. Any ideas of what would be the best approach? I intend to use 12 V 'computer' fans for the cooling. @PatsyC what do you guys think?

2020 Mazda CX-5
    Englewood, OH

• Options

Shelf in place. Power in place. All done except change in power plug placement.

2020 Mazda CX-5
    Englewood, OH

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

Nice

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    daveandcorlenedaveandcorlene Member Posts: 74

Many thanks to the wonderful responses, they greatly helped us with our first mod, a sliding drawer for the YETI. We used 24 inch VADANIA Heavy Duty Drawer Slides that lock. Maybe could have gotten by with 22 inch slides. We wanted to make sure the lid would open when fully extended. Will stain the wood next, with Carbon Gray wood stain from Varathane with clear, semi-gloss polyurethane.

For now, we will just stick to the YETI because we do mostly boondocking. Maybe someday upgrade to a 12 volt cooler.

2021 TAG XL Boondock
    Toyota Tacoma
    Evergreen State

• Options
    greatlady42greatlady42 Member Posts: 1

We are new to camping but we understood that you should move your cooler away from your TAG trailer / tent for safety from wildlife especially bears. With this safety protocol in mind, the Yeti cooler is convenient to place at least 100 yards away from us. We think it is a perfect design and love our 2021 TAG XL Boondock. Kudos to NuCamp. Safety first.

• Options
    SomemedicSomemedic Member Posts: 89

I added a 160w panel to the top of my XL Boondocker that powers 2 6V batteries. It keeps the fridge powered easily.

What I didn't catch was that the fridge doesn't stay powered up with the batteries off connected to the tow vehicle. Silly rabbit, why are you wired that way?

• Options

We had our first trip. Iceco worked fine without venting, unfortunately, need to notch the sliding shelf for the plug. Otherwise, the hatch hit the Iceco when closed.

2020 Mazda CX-5
    Englewood, OH

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 635

@Somemedic - I just re-read your October 8 comment. It sounds like you have been towing with the battery switch off? Not sure if you have brakes, but the TaBs break-away brakes require use of the TaB battery, so our battery switch must always be on while towing and then the TV continues to feed the battery, too.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    jaffaamesjaffaames Member Posts: 5

Are you completely positive about that? I have a T@G, but I’m fairly certain that the battery disconnect only turns off power to the accessory loads. There is a second fused connection on the battery that, I am under the impression, keeps the “necessities” powered, along with the fact that power for the electronic brakes is triggered from the tow vehicle.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 635

I am absolutely sure that the TAB requires you to tow with the battery switch on. Otherwise, no break-away brakes, no power to the frig and no charging of the TaB battery.

The electric brakes are powered by the TV until a break/away occurs.

I do not know how the TaG battery switch is wired. Hopefully another owner will chime in.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator