Options

Ball height

AustinHealeyAustinHealey Member Posts: 66
edited August 2020 in Trailers & Towing

I have a 2020 Tag Boondock lite I am towing with a Colorado ZR2. Wtih a two inch drop hitch the top of the ball is 20.5 from the ground and the TAG is very slightly nose down. With a straight hitch the top of the ball is 22.5 inches from the ground with a very slight nose up. Which would you guys prefer?

Comments

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

I'd probably go for the 22.5... and is this before any gear has been loaded? That will make a difference...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    poliverpoliver Member Posts: 31

Good evening,

Not sure this info will help or not, but, I just purchased a 2021 T@G XL back in May and was instructed that the hitch be 17” from the ground. Been out every weekend since and having a ball.

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

@poliver...you missed the "boondock"...17" is for a non boondock...they are 4" higher...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    ClarkGriswoldClarkGriswold Member Posts: 34

You ALWAYS want to pick nose down over nose up on the trailer. Nose up will lead to uncontrollable handling.

Something most people don't consider is be mindful of your ballast (consumables) for the return trip. If you were carrying extra water or fuel on the Boondock aluminum rack for the trip, doublecheck that you aren't nose up on the way home. If so, refill your water or fuel before hitting the freeway or shift items forward of the axle inside your sleeping area.

2019 T@G 5W Boondock Edge
    2008 M-B G500
    Somewhere in the PNW

"Why aren't we flying? Because getting there is half the fun. You know that."

• Options
    csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353

I'm installing Timbrens in the coil springs of my Dodge Grand Caravan on Friday. A bit of weight at the tongue shouldn't change things much at all.