Adding vents for a Norcold

Lots of inquiries about venting a stock style fridge so I thought I'd make a thread on venting "how-to". My trailer came with a Norcold so it had a vent in the bottom, but I added another in the front to make better airflow. I'll get some photos and do a write-up soon.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2018 Jeep Rubicon
2017 [email protected] XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,174
    edited August 24

First things first:

Why does my Norcold hum along merrily without any fiddling or interaction?

Good question...I answer to myself. Not to worry. I have lively discussions with the voices in my head all the time. Occasionally, I'll get into a big argument with me and then we don't speak for a few days but generally, it's pretty noisy in here.

I use my Norcold constantly. I break all of the common rules for its use. I leave the hatch shut. I never precool it. I have never checked the electrical connections or upgraded the wiring. It just works. So why do some folks have issues?

One upgrade I DID do was to add another vent for it. Actually, I cut a hole in the wall in front of it so I could install a rotopax mount in the side wall, but since there was a new hole there, I added a vent cover. Now, the Norcold has airflow through the bottom of the trailer (stock) and a warm-air exit that sheds heat through the cowbells when the hatch is closed. I need to point out that the Norcold worked fine before I made the modification and still does. I can't say it's now more efficient than it was when factory-stock as I've not tested that, but I find it difficult to believe that more airflow, in this case, isn't a good thing.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I keep my fridge set at about 42-45 degrees. I don't try to keep ice cream or freeze-ables. I put my meat (when possible) in it after first freezing it to reduce the workload. I've gone a week or more with things like meat, eggs and dairy with zero problems.

That's the bar.

I suspect that when folks run into problems with using excessive energy reserves, their are other factors at work. What I mean is that the fridge is probably working fine but other devices are hogging the volts. But that is a different issue. There are dozens of threads on power management elsewhere so I won't go into that, save to say the most dramatic change I have made in the area of power management has been getting rid of the stock fantastic fan for the Maxxfan deluxe. I can set my Maxxfan to "3" and just leave it on for days without issue. I set it to exhaust out the top, open both side windows and forget it. That's been a huge energy reduction for me and well worth the $300 or so bucks I paid for it. It has easily, EASILY reduced my energy consumption by 50%. Compared to the cost of solar, giant batteries etc, it's been the best money I've spent by far.

I will get some photos of my Norcold venting today if I can and my schedule allows, but my first thoughts on Norcold energy "problems" are suspect problems not with the fridge, but elsewhere.

More soon...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2018 Jeep Rubicon
    2017 [email protected] XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• beakybeaky Member Posts: 155

park it in Moab for 3 days in 108 degree heat, with virtually no other devices using electricity and plenty of solar power, the fridge just can't cool, too much for it

• TomDTomD Member Posts: 343

Hatch closed in hot weather anywhere, hatch closed driving through 100 degree weather, etc., this Norcold has been the steady partner. I live in California and when we get a power shut off the Noecold is our back-up reefer. Sad😳

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• SgtYorkSgtYork Member Posts: 5

Hi WilliamA. Please post your vent pictures. I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Thanks