Options

Battery specs vs. converter charge voltages?

Hello. I'd like to upgrade my 2020 T@G Boondock Lite with a littler bigger and nicer group 27 or 31 AGM deep cycle lead battery. I've found plenty of nice brands, namely, Trojan and Renogy. However I have not found any batteries with charger voltage settings (and in some cases max charge current) that match the fixed settings of the 25 amp WFCO 8725 converter / power center that came stock in my trailer. It looks like the Victron solar charge controller, which also came stock, has variable settings that could accommodate batteries with various charge specs. I'm hoping to find something similar to replace the WFCO power center with. Or some other solution. Wondering if anyone else has tackled the problem. Any thoughts / advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

You might want to slide over to the T@B forum area and use the search function to attain more of the information you are looking for as this has been discussed in length in various discussions.

What I’m guessing you are saying is that the current WFCO in your trailer will not fully charge a larger battery or top it off. A smart charger might fill the bill but believe you are looking for a larger converter to maintain a maximum and consistent charge.

The T@B forum is a great source for additional information and should help you find the information you are looking for.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I would not do anything with the stock converter.
    I see no need.
    I charge my wet cell with a seperate charger, which changes to float mode as necessary.
    The converter would do just fine also.