Options

vehicle tow weight?

What tow weight should I look for when buying a vehicle to pull a tag teardrop. I heard somewhere you can pull 50% of what the vehicle tow weight limit is.

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I would say you can safely pull up to 100% of what the tow rate claim is.
    Follow safety precautions.

I drive a 2012 Toyota Rav4 with a tow capacity of 1,500 pounds. That is towing a 2018 standard T@G with limited cargo aboard and no water. I have had no problems towing going up mountains or running lengthy 4x4 dirt roads. My transmission may drop a gear or two for a short period. RPM may jump to near 5,000 for a minute or two. I keep my tow vehicle payload at or below the 1,071 pound limit.
    I drive to allow safe braking distance and minimize the strain on my engine, transmission, tires and vehicle unibody frame.

The towing capacity and the T@G trailer weight posted are semi-vague and often seem to provide a range. when doing calculations, I work with the lower range on towing capacity and the upper range on the trailer weight. My measured tongue weight is right at 150 pounds.

I have gone as far as to create an Excel spreadsheet and weigh items as I place in them in my vehicle. It is surprising how easy it is to overload payload capacity.

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

There are several strings on this topic which are very helpful.

Payload capacity of your Tow Vehicle (TV) is very important. Tongue weight is part of your payload capacity just like the weight of you, your passengers and all the stuff you put inside and on top. As far as the trailer, the weight of your propane, battery and water (8.4lbs/gal) add up.

JamesDow is spot on, the weight of everything you put in your trailer and TV add up real quick.

Good Luck and enjoy.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe