Options

Wing it or Reservations needed

When you travel with your t@g are you making reservations the whole way or are you able to wing it and find a place at the end of each day where ever you end up at.

Comments

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Usually call ahead one day and make reservations. Longer trip maybe a couple days or even a week.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    DCN082162DCN082162 Member Posts: 26

Nowadays due to the COVID restrictions we make reservations.

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

we stopped making reservations because it turned great trips into itineraries, we drove past great lesser known climbing and hiking areas just to make some check in time, you can use ON X to find BLM and remote camp sites. I have come to hate campgrounds with the noise and commotion. when we find a cool place, like Pinedale Wy, we just stay there for 5 days and really see the place. it helps to have a lot of solar

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 174

In our experience most state and federal campgrounds have some sites that cannot be reserved and are available first-come first-served on any given day. My wife likes to know where we're going before we go. After having to find and pay for a second site because of break-downs or delays, she's warming to the idea that we see where we are in early afternoon and let Google find us a site. Like Beaky stated above, daily reservations turn trips into itineraries. You can't spend an extra day in a place you enjoy because you've paid for a site 300-400 miles away.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• Options
    HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140

RV industry is making anywhere from 350,000 to 500,000 new RVs each year (you get different figures depending on year and source). Guess how many new campsites are created each year? I don't know the answer to this, but a LOT less than that. I've found that finding campsites in state and national parks has gotten much more difficult since we started camping in a serious way in 2014. I appreciate beaky's response, but going along each day not knowing if I'll have a place to stay that night adds tension I don't need. So, I always have reservations. I read that covid has resulted in a lot of new campers, which only makes things worse.

2014 T@G

• Options
    LightningdonLightningdon Member Posts: 110

Reservations always! My Wife is a lousy navigator and is not proficient in using the several mobile apps I have. I could stop and figure it all out by myself but then I end up losing too much time. I would rather know I have a spot on the other end of my drive, rather than drive around looking for a site.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

My wife is the navigator. As I'm getting dim-witted she is also piloting more. We kind of free style once we decide on the first destination. Mid week is best especially during Covit. Everybody that can goes camping on the weekends.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

Depending on where and how long...pre covid we usually made reservations on our way to the final destination...on our way home we tended to wing it...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Wing It!
    Here is our mid October trip to Senator Wash.
    BLM Land - No Cost currently
    Left San Diego around 3:00 a.m., arrived around 7:30 a.m.
    Not very many great camp sites left, but we found a quality one.
    Had a wonderful three days.
    Weather and water great.
    High 90's day low 70's night.
    This is my fourth trip here during coronavirus pandemic.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    YouTube link to entire trip
    https://youtu.be/WoDq1Cinhgc

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

Wow. Super nice!

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

If I’m traveling solo I wing it, but if my wife is along she likes reservations as otherwise she has a kitten! 😂

You know the old saying, happy wife - happy life! 👍🏻😀

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400