Options

benefits of stock 100w Solar Panel

csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353
edited October 2020 in Battery/Electrical & Solar

Will be purchasing a 2020 T@G XL Boondock Lite with the stock 100w solar panel. Does it actually charge the battery or just trickle charge? Is it solely meant for maintaining the battery for use? For what reason would someone want an additional suitcase solar setup?

Comments

• Options

The stock solar panel works extremely well. I have a dual 6 volt battery setup which is fully charged from the panel. This past summer I spend 60 days boondocking in the Eastern Sierra and my batteries never dipped below 12.5 volt in high temps with the Norcold fridge in operation. Possibly extra panel might assist if you are powering another external fridge.

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

One benefit in augmenting a stock T@G solar panel with a solar suitcase would be to allow capturing more sun when the trailer is parked in the shade. It would also potentially charge the battery quicker. This would be a benefit in a multi battery setup.

• Options
    csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353

Thanks for the comments. Good to know.

• Options
    DCN082162DCN082162 Member Posts: 26

Most solar panels on a trailer only charge batteries, so the size of the solar panel dictates how long it will take charge the battery. Depending on what you run off the battery you may need to reduce the charging time to prevent being left without power. The way I think of the system is that the panels charge the battery the battery powers the power center / inverter, the power center / inverter the supplies current to the lights refrigerator and other powered accessories.