Options

Max coupler or Lock-In-Roll coupler questions

Has anyone switched to one of these? If so which one and why......and what is your tow vehicle.

I just picked up our new T@G and have a Jeep Wrangler as a tow vehicle. I knew I'd need to modify as you can't open the tailgate on the Jeep without some alteration. I am leaning to the Max Coupler, but open to input and looking for lengths, etc. if anyone has done this.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

Comments

• Options
    Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148
    edited January 2021

I saw a video on youtube last year where someone did this to his Boondock edition. Sorry I don’t have a link to it.

Edit: still can’t find the video, but he went with the lock-n-roll coupler purchased on etrailer and his local shop welded it on. Said it was best option.

• Options
    Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148
    edited January 2021

Reviews from etrailer

Order:

by: Ian S06/09/2020
    After trying this system on my T@G off-road version teardrop I changed all my trailers to this (3 total) from the standard 2" ball. I've had my T@G through some rough trails and this system works excellent. I highly recommend.

Click to Enlarge

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 208

I wish I could see this from the side view.....I'm curious about measurements to get the tailgate to swing open......I'm going to have to try "estimating" this tomorrow perhaps.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited January 2021

Here is how I set up my hitch.

The tongue is fully adjustable in lenght. And the 2" inner square tube goes from front to rear as a back bone.

You will see that I have a short lenght and a longer lenght. The longer was cut down, since I can adjust as needed when I go from one tv to the other. And yes, I can fully open the tailgate of my 2005 wrangler. Sorry, no pics of the side view with the trailer and jeep. But I am sure I have one somewhere.

@LuckyJ said:
    Tongue mod, full back bone tube from front to back with a multi axe coupler.

This is before I realized that since I fabed a tongue extension, i could keep the primary tube short.

Had to relocate the liscence plate on the rear hatch, but still have to connect electricity to the light.

Had to relocate the jack, took the occasion to lift it about 6" so the leg would be even with the frame once it would be fully raised. Also make it much easier to i stall remove the jack wheel.

Spare tire bracket that is attache to the corner of the frame, under the living quarter. Nothing touch the walls or floor.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

You will have a rear quarter view with one in here

@LuckyJ said:
    Thank you guys!

So here are some pics.

This is the crusty side to my HD off road set-up. That I still own and the trailer is not dedicated for travel. It is realy a do it all trailer, so set-up time when traveling involves plastic bins, tables, and bags. Something my GF was not that impress with. But still something that I do not worry about in hard off road or exploring old forest service road. And please do not worry about this, since we are talking here of wash out culvert, and forest service road that are on public land that was litteraly torn appart and left alone by logging companies until they will have to rebuilt them like 35 years from now to start cutting trees again. And btw, we are not alowed here in quebec to cross a stream or a river that does not have a culbert or a bridge. Even in an emergencie situation.

So here it is.

Now the T@G ready for the Nova Scotia trip about three weeks ago and in Meat Cove NS up on the top of the cliff (Yep, about an 80 ft cliff behind that bush.) great spot at the Meat Cove campground. :)

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 208

Thanks!!

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

My personal preference is the pintle hitch with a channel mount on the trailer side.

A trailer-side, 50 degree channel mount is available from many trailer parts places, but requires cutting off the stock ball hitch and welding on the new piece. I made my gusseted channel mount to spec and mostly use a pintle and lunette, but once the channel mount is done, you can purchase lunette style, ball hitch style or lock and roll style bolt-on hitches for the trailer side. The channel is available in several lengths, allowing for many adjustments in height.

In the photo, I'm using a flat, 8-hole pintle mount for a 2" receiver. It's also a 2" ball, so, ubiquitous. I slide a short piece of 2" ID radiator hose over the ball to cushion the pintle. It's quiet, atomically strong and anyone with a room-temperature IQ can back up/hook up in one go. For the tailgate....well....just unhook for access. Can't have it all...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

Hmmmm. Happy wife .......

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV