Battery upgrade questions

I have decided to replace the stock battery on my T@g with a more robust one. We have a few upcoming trips planned where we will be boondocking, and we don't have a generator. The stays will be about 3-4 days in length before hooking back up and moving on to another location. We have the solar panel option with our T@g. I generally run just the Fantastic fan and some lights, water pump, the Norcold, and a standalone 12v fridge we use for extra storage. I was looking at a Renogy Deep Cycle 100Ah hybrid gel battery. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for battery replacement? I wonder if going with two 6vs would be a better solution, but I am not sure if it's overkill for what I am looking to do.

Comments

• beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

we use an Optima blue top

• WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 20

Battery choice is always that balancing act among cost, capacity, weight, simplicity and space.

Given the description of your plans - 3-4 days in one spot, not a lot of electrical demands and the solar panels, I would think the 100Ah Renogy would fit your need. And it appears to be on sale right now directly from Renogy

You will probably have to change the battery box. I think the stock battery is a group 24 (or maybe 27) and the Renogy looks like a group 31 size. Without measuring, I bet there’s still room in the front box.

The 6v option you talk about certainly gives you more capacity but you loose on cost, weight, simplicity and space. For your needs I think that would be overkill.

Personally, I have the same setup you are proposing - 100 Ah battery and solar panels and it serves us well for our boondocking trips. But that also probably shows my bias!

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 631

I agree that the Renogy deep cycle 1p0Ah hybrid gell battery should work fine for yor application, although I do not know the draw of your standalone 12 volt fridge and the size of your solar setup. I have a 100 watt Renogy solar suitcase with a Costco Interstate 24 group marine battery, and 4 days is not an issue. I do not have an extra 12 volt fridge and I do not use the water pump. At $219 the Renogy battery is worth a try.

• JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198

A good inverter for vehicle or Honda 2200

• rich67rich67 Member Posts: 164

I am going to be getting a 2200 generator (not the Honda; too rich for my budget) to help out with extended boondocking, but for an upcoming trip I am going to go with the Renogy. Thanks for the input everyone!

• Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148
    edited April 2022

I only Boondock so having a cpap gave me concern about the O.E. Group 24 battery 65ah battery which was replaced with an interstate group 24 81ah battery. Unfortunately, only the bottom of the battery box will fit in the abs tub. Can’t fit the top on. Would have to change out the front tub with something else. Checked with NuCamp and got a price of $1250 (price includes shipping) for the new tub on the 2021 models.

• zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 204

Bob, are you saying that the 2021 front tub is BIGGER than previous? I just got my 2021.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

LOL, so that's a "yes". Thanks for the video!

• Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148
    edited January 2021

@zgfiredude said:
    LOL, so that's a "yes". Thanks for the video!

Yes! The owners requested a larger box and they got it. But it seems it is give and take situation. Now that the larger box can handle larger batteries or dual, now they will be requesting the refrigerators back. =) I’m still in “discussion” with DW over the Meaner Bean......I think I’m loosing.....

Edit: On the subject of refrigerators, I would never give mine up! Seems you can’t buy ice in the middle of nowhere :o My trips are at least a week long and never want to come back. That’s why I have my Honda and Zamp.

Seems you can’t buy ice in the middle of nowhere :o

You are sharing SO MUCH valuable incite....I'm starting to take notes! ;)