Options

Tow vehicle winners?

Hi - we've had our TAG for over a year now, pulling it with our little 4 cylinder vehicle. Looking at a possible change to V6, and with capacity to tow a little more (up to 5,000 lbs?) in the future. Anybody out there have experience with a great vehicle that might fit the bill? Please share, if so. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 207

I'm now using a Jeep Rubicon and it works great......my prior vehicle, a Toyota 4Runner would also have been very good. All depends on what your needs are.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options
    Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148
    edited February 2021

This would be fun....but I also agree with zgfiredude.

• Options
    packetjunkiepacketjunkie Member Posts: 72
    edited February 2021

I've got a 2021 f150, 5.0 coyote, with built in 2k generator in the back...put a 2" level kit at 33s on it and I'm ready to go!

• Options
    JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198
    edited February 2021

4x4 Pickup truck. Packing is for the birds, throw and go.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@zgfiredude said:
    I'm now using a Jeep Rubicon and it works great......my prior vehicle, a Toyota 4Runner would also have been very good. All depends on what your needs are.

I live jeep, i'm a my second one in 26 years. Why only the second, cause I kept, used, modified and made offroaf and lonf travel trips with the first one up until 2016.

Tge sexond one is a 2005 unlimited TJ that I got in 2016 and moded it and use it to tow our T@A all over.

But unless your Rubi is a Gladiator, I would not plan to tow up to 5000 lbs with it.

Btw, my next ine will be a jeep Gladiator. Maybe 10 years from now. šŸ˜Ž

• Options
    Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148

@packetjunkie said:
    I've got a 2021 f150, 5.0 coyote, with built in 2k generator in the back...put a 2" level kit at 33s on it and I'm ready to go!

Out of all the engine choices you picked the best engine for your F150 IMHO. I had one in my mustang & previous truck F150. Besides, I love the sound of a V8. An engine that is going extinct.

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

Love my Subaru Ascent. Plenty of power, can tow 5k lbs, and in really bad weather can serve as an overnight shelter for my teenagers who are normally in a tent.

ā€œI'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options
    rich67rich67 Member Posts: 165

I have a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited. It's a manual transmission, so towing is a breeze with it. I think we are going to start looking into getting a truck to tow it, since the Jeep is getting up there in miles. It's seen two trips to AZ and UT from Florida, multiple back and forths between FL and NC, and then one long trip up to Canada into Quebec. Since I am planning an Alaska jaunt up the ALCan in the next two years, I don't know how confident I'd be to take it on a long trip like that. We shall see. It still is running great and just had the water pump replaced at 100k. I put a 2.5" lift on it, upgraded the shocks to Rubicon Express, and it tows nice and smooth. Love my Jeep. What's nice is being able to take it on some trails once we arrive at our destinations and enjoy getting even further off grid.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

Iā€™m a Chevy guy and IMHO a truck is the only way to go. Very versatile, rugged, you can get into areas with ease and can carry about anything and everything you need.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 207
    edited February 2021

@Michigan_Mike said:
    Iā€™m a Chevy guy and IMHO a truck is the only way to go. Very versatile, rugged, you can get into areas with ease and can carry about anything and everything you need.

But you can't take the doors off, you can't take the top off, and you can't go where I can go....but I do like trucks.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

4Runner. Tow capacity is 5,000lbs. Perfect Overland vehicle.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Still running a 2003 SR5 4Runner we bought new in 2002. Rated at 5,000. Our vintage is a V8. But the newer ones are rated 5,000 with a very good V6 from what I have heard. We have towed large and small trailers and this thing is great. We have had Jeeps and loved them also. But we hate to part with this trouble free wonder.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

Toyota 4 Runner, will run effortlessly for 300,000 miles

• Options
    danpdanp Member Posts: 44

If I wanted a real jeep I would get an FJ :o I had a 2010 Rav4 with a V6 that averaged 24mpg, with my T@G that dropped to around 17mph and I was content with that. Waiting to hook my new Tacoma up to it and see how that does.

• Options

Well, I never got succes with Toyotas.

A 2003 pick-up that needed head gasket (the 22r) needed a new clutch cause contaminated by dripping oil for the fubber plug behind at the back of the valve cover, timing chain guide broken, a pain to change alternator, brake drum that were stuck in place that tge dealer had a hard time to remove when the truck was still in it prime. Brake line that needed to remove the gas tank to redo, front brake line that bursted at tge same time. Gas line rusted trough.

Girl friend 2012 6v rav 4 was a gas pig, wornout awd output shaft bearing after only 80 000 miles, transmission gived 5 000 mikes later ( that rav 4 never towed anything) she lost faith and exchange it for a honda. Not all reliabke, but much better than the rav 4.

Had a corrola awd station wagon that I got used, but the steel gas tank started to leek electrical smell from behind the dash was always a worry.

Had my first real jeep for 20 years and was still runing w/o burning oil after 250 000miles (100 000 of them modified for trips and hard trail) never got that kind of isues. Was zstill running great when I parked it, rust at the frame and body support became tge isue. Wi ter salt is a bumer.

If I had wanted a fake jeep, FJ were not even on the list! šŸ¤£

And guess what, the actual TV is a 2005 unlimited TJ. And last long trip with the T@g was more than 5000 miles. Standard trip are about 1500 miles. Doing those with top down for us is just awsome. And dogs realy like it as well. šŸ˜

The best TV is tge ine that can do tge job and that you like. I'm not a full size guy. To limiting for my taste. But it is me, and ai respect what other prefer, as long as they don't tel me tgis is the best ever because..... šŸ¤”

Have fun out there. šŸ˜

• Options
    edited February 2021

LuckyJ Sorry to hear that. 260 K miles here. Maint stuff-Tires, brakes, time belt, nuutin else. Did have issue with Rear window and tie in with alarm system. Under warranty.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options

Nah, you do not have to be sorry. šŸ˜‰

We each have vehicule history and each vehicule also have theire own history.

I just love my jeep and I also try to keep a vehicule for ever, plus they also have theire own isues. And I agree, they are not the most confortable, but I do not look for cushy, I prefer enjoyement! Top down, doors off if I can! šŸ˜Ž

Again, tge best vehicule is the one we love! šŸ˜Š

@GigHarborTom said:
    LuckyJ Sorry to hear that. 260 K miles here. Maint stuff-Tires, brakes, time belt, nuutin else. Did have issue with Rear window and tie in with alarm system. Under warranty.

)

• Options

LuckyJ We have had two jeeps and loved them. Traded one in on the 4Runner. Wish I had traded the Acura instead. Gave the Acura to my son while again downsizing. He sold it and a Kayak we gave him to remodel a garage into a spare bedroom. Did not make dad happy.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 175

I'm glad you folks are having a good experience with Jeeps. But mine was the worst vehicle I've ever owned. Left me stranded on the side of the road several times. Two dealers couldn't fix it and my ethics/morality wouldn't let me pass that experience on to anyone else so I junked it. In addition to the electrical/mechanical problems, the welds on the upper door hinges broke. Driving Toyotas now.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• Options

@ras , like I said, each vehicules has it's own history! šŸ˜‰

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Ah yes.....Scotty Kilmer.......

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

My Toyota Rav4 4WD does the trick.
    Not as well as a Jeep, 4Runner, or a truck.
    17 - 19 MPG.

My Mazda MX-5 does not.