Options

Planning vs Preparation

WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Back a few years ago, I was working a gig for a custom car guru. During that time, I was also traveling back and forth to Europe where I'd spend months traveling around. I would book my flight along with a fictitious, arbitrary return date somewhere a few months out. I'd fly over and get to the monkey-business I was up to. A couple of weeks before I decided to return, I'd call the airline and change my return flight. It was always the same. The airline would feign surprise and distress at my itinerary change, explain how inconvenient it was for them and change my flight date, to the tune of an additional hundred fifty bucks or so. It was just the routine I got used to. It always worked.

Nowadays that I'm not traveling to "The Continent" I still use the same routine. I PREPARE for an upcoming trip without PLANNING said trip. Dates are the last thing I plug in. Weather, international diseases, price of fuel and local conditions are subject to change without notice. Heck, my MOOD changes faster than the weather. There's no way I'll allow myself to be boxed in by a laundry list of dates and reservations. What if I want to stay an extra day ( or 5) or leave early? Planning a trip is the best way I can think of to ruin one.

I was talking to DW this morning about an upcoming trip we're going on and she had her undies all in a snag about a litany of problems having to do with dates, locations, etc. Without looking up, I said, relax, I'm not at the dates, locations stage yet. (Never tell DW to relax. They HATE that)

I'm preparing....Check bearings, brakes etc. Work out what to take, where you're going to haul it, how to use it etc.

The "when"? That's the easy part. Start your plan with "when"....and you probably won't go....

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 207

Good morning chuckle, I read this out loud to my DW who said, "Let's NOT follow his lead." LOL

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

We have planned so many trips around a "date that works for the both of us" and everyone was cancelled because something more pressing happened on those days. Now we make sure the trailer is ready and we are ready with everything needed (except food and such). Then we just go when we feel like it.

So, WilliamA, I am totally onboard with you.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options

@HikinMike said:
    We have planned so many trips around a "date that works for the both of us" and everyone was cancelled because something more pressing happened on those days. Now we make sure the trailer is ready and we are ready with everything needed (except food and such). Then we just go when we feel like it.

So, WilliamA, I am totally onboard with you.

Exactly. That's my point. I'm not saying to never plan, but if the prep is done, then the "when" or even "where" becomes much less important. If the prep is good, one can leave in an hour or two, before someone calls and lobs a wrench (or dumps the whole toolbox) into the gears.
    I can pull over somewhere there aren't any phones, get out the map and make a route....

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    edited February 2021

@zgfiredude said:
    Good morning chuckle, I read this out loud to my DW who said, "Let's NOT follow his lead." LOL

Yeah,
    My own DW is a bit more of the plan type. She needs constant updates. This morning over coffee, she said: "what'cha thinking about"?
    I said: " the trip"
    She: " where are we going?"
    Me: "south, then right"
    She: " how long will it take to get there?"
    Me: "I dunno. Not sure where we're going. I'll let you know"
    She: "well, how long will we be gone?"
    Me: "depends on how much money I have"
    She: : "what are we going to see?"
    Me: "depends on where we are"

(Insert dramatic pause/uncomfortable silence)

She: "well, I gotta get to work. See you tonight"
    Me: "probly be here. Probly."

Planning for the trip. Boom. Done. Boom. I told you it was easy.

Now for the hard part:
    Should I order the cold air intake for the Jeep? Or just go all in for a Snorkel kit?

I'll let you know how THAT works out....DW may also want some more $pecific$ of that plan.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.