Options

Filling water tank and misc maintenance

WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

It's the time of the year when we up in Wisconsin run with scissors. Time to turn on the outside water spigots, fill the bird bath and fill the T@G fresh water tank, then hope they won't freeze. I'm not too concerned about the T@G freezing as, when I built both my electric furnace and diesel heater, I dedicated a 2" heating chase that dumps warm air down into the plumbing cabinet beneath the sink. I will continue to have my trailer plugged in for the next month so I can keep the plumbing space and end of the water tank heated.

As has happened each year since I bought my trailer, I had to disassemble the pump and poke away at the siphon valve to get it pumping again. The time I took adding the wiring quick-disconnect and moving the pump for easier access has proven to be worth it.

I suspect that what happens to the valve each winter is that even though I drain the system, a tiny bit of water stays in the siphon valve well, freezes and jams the valve solidly shut. When I take it apart and poke at it, the valve is quite solidly jammed until I tap on it and it frees up. One of these winters, it's going to crack the housing. I should probably just take the pump out when I winterize the trailer and store it in the house or take the pump apart in the fall and dry it out.

Lesson learned......again....

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• Options
    Gerald98053Gerald98053 Member Posts: 25

I had the idea of getting the tank nearly empty and putting some vodka into it. I have not done it, but it wouldn’t freeze up; or, if it did, it would make unfreezing the valve worthwhile. Or put that awful pink winterizing stuff in the tank. Of course, our winters aren’t like those in Wisconsin.

Gerald
    Redmond, Washington
    Nissan Armada
    Nucamp T@G (2017) & Forest River Vibe 25RK (2021)

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

If the tank is nearly empty, than it will not freeze. What can still freeze are tge pipes and valves and pumps and filter and all around it. But that takes only a few minutes to drain. I have never used antifreeze of any kind, and our winter can freeze any thing solid for montns! 😉

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

I have used the RV Antifreeze a couple times on a Casita and a Vintage Avion. Then I would let slide or had a portable heater and fan going all winter. Worried more about the toilet and sink plumbing. Got lucky and got by every time over around 20 + years now.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

Keep the pink stuff out of the tank. The best you can do after its in is dilute it as there's always some liquid behind. I've been a fan of the Camco winterizing kit. You install a bypass valve and put a third line in the jug of antifreeze. Empty the tank,, turn the faucet on until it runs pink then turn the shower on until it turns pink and you're done. In the spring you just sanitize and then fill the tank with fresh water. It uses a little more than a quart of antifreeze and your lines never run dry (so you lose the pain of priming).

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Fourman110 Concur

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198

Another reason to love the SE