Brainstorm on PahaQue tent to door drawstring

JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198

After using the PahaQue side tent in high wind and the drawstring popping off the gutter I’m looking for new ideas. Preferably it would be some kinda rim around the gutter that would have a much higher lip thus preventing the tout drawstring from jumping off.

I realize I’m the smartest one on the forum but you never know what kinda idea a run of the mill Gomer might come up with.

Thanks for looking, thanks for suggestions.

Comments

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

🤔

I would go all tge way. 5 ancor bolt round tge door, something like 3/4" diameter goind thru the wall with a chain link welded in tge bolt head for a loop to pass the rope just might be strong enough.

But again, we are just talking here and throwing ideas! 😉

• JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198
    edited May 2021

I’m looking at plastic or metal J hooks that roll backward a bit mounted inside the gutter in about six places, maybe bolted through the wall if screwing them in with epoxy doesn’t hold.

Thought of another idea with threaded studs into the same areas with a clamping piece of metal and wing nut to tighten down over the drawstring.

I appreciate ideas, thanks

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 622

Have you considered industrial velcro? You can find someone to sew one side onto the tent.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

edited May 2021

Yeah, I’ve strongly considered this. Its a great idea too.

I’m even considering snaps

Thanks

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@JohnnyLoco said:
    Yeah, I’ve strongly considered this. Its a great idea too.

I’m even considering snaps

Thanks

If you can avoid, I would stay away from snap. The always let go in time and the screws will be small and tge azdel layer is realy thin so not much material for the treads to grab.

Not sure how much of a lip on the gutter, but what about using rare earth magnets?

• zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 204
    edited May 2021

I'm sending you down a rabbit hole now! Watch out......https://obecoinc.com/SNADS Lots of cool stuff on this site.

Also you could try....the FASTENERS section of the same site....J hooks, etc. there.

Or the Stayput Dome Hook and attach it with 3M VHB tape.

Just a Gomer trying to remind you of what you already knew, ;)

Happy hunting!

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

Hey Gomer, thanks a bundle !

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

https://www.sailrite.com/Flex-A-Rail-White-90

Use this stuff to replace the vinyl door screw cover. Flexible to a 10" radius, black or white. Sew the complimenting keder rope to the tent.

"An expert hits a target no one else can hit.

A genius hits a target no one else can see."

Albert Einstein

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

edited May 2021

Good stuff William.

I’m leaning toward a 2” strip of velcro right now. I’m going down to the Air Force base seamstress ladies in a few to see what they think about sewing it onto the portal piece. I think it will be easier and provide a good bug seal along with overall combined strength from the sheer amount of contact. So I would slip the drawstring onto the gutter and press the velcro on above it.

The BEST thing about going to this trouble is, I’ll never have a wind above 10mph again, thats how life works.

• bridgetherrmannbridgetherrmann Member Posts: 2

We replaced the drawstring with bungee cord. Seems to hold pretty tight.

Bridget

Very good idea. Sometime next week I plan to resume this pursuit

edited June 2021

My drawstring is a bungee, I’ve attached the 2” velcro strips to the portal and I’m off to have them sewn. I’m doing 2” attachments except for the center sides will have 8” long strips because thats where the wind force is.

I will tell you without hesitation the velcro makes it easier to install the portal because it holds the portal while you feed the drawstring. Its worth the modifications for this alone.

I’ll be affixing velcro on both sides of the trailer for side tent options.

I might shorten the rain fly and do the same thing with it. My beef with the rain fly is it flaps around in the wind and it bangs on the roof vent, I can’t sleep like dat.

I probably won’t have to install extended J-Hooks in the channel, I think this will hold good enough that even if the drawstring jumps the track the whole thing won’t collapse before I can put it back in the gutter channel.

Thanks to whoever mentioned velcro. I’m using the 2” industrial velcro.

Got it done. So far, so good.

The tape to the trailer has to cure, time will tell how well it holds. My trailer is garage kept except for runs.

How about a picture when the project is complete?

edited June 2021

I already packed the tent back up. Next time I deploy I’ll take a picture.

Another plus is since you are kinda folding the portal slack back toward the trailer to attach, it really gets the poofy out of the way for door opening.

I don’t even attach the side tent unless more than 2 nights and camping in the wild. For these little State park type pull in spots I only put up the toilet/shower tent. And the only summer camping we do is above 8k feet.

This whole experiment isn’t a “lifestyle” for us, it was intended as a bed between final destinations. The garage kept teardrop does have an odd attraction and has been our final destination on several occasions during the Plandemic attack.

edited June 2021

Pics. On this side I used shorter side strips. The side we deploy the most has full length strips on the trailer. Remember, I have 9 contact points. All of them aren’t smashed to the velcro in these pics. The pic of the two side strips from the inside is an example of how it looks all the way around when attached and flat.

This shows the inside with all tabs attached. The other is around the trailer door. 9 attachment points.

@JohnnyLoco - what kind of velcro and how did you prepare the TaG surface before applying?

edited June 2021

2” industrial said 24 hrs to cure. I just cleaned it with alcohol pads.

The real solution to the situation would be a special designed rain gutter with a higher J that hooks back