Re: new to towing.

royh210royh210 Member Posts: 22
edited May 2021 in Trailers & Towing

I'll be towing our 2021 Tag xl boondock with a 2012 Kia Sportage. So if I measure correctly my hitch on level ground measures at 13" to the inside top and the 2021 tag xl boondock measures in at 21" (according to what I have read in the forums). That would mean I'd need a 2" ball mount with at least an 8" rise.

Would that be correct...

Any tips or recommended type of ball mount to use. Thanks in advance.

2021 NuCamp T@G XL Boondock 🎣

2012 Kia SportageπŸš™

Comments

• rasras Member Posts: 173
    edited May 2021

According to NuCamp, the Boondock hitch should be 21 inches off the ground. You can measure the top of your Kia hitch from the ground and the difference between it and 21 inches is the amount of lift or drop you need. Looking at the trailer when its hooked to your Sportage, the black frame extending out toward the hitch on your TV should be level or angled downward toward the TV (but no more than an inch or two below 21". When you brake, If the hitch is too low the trailer tries to drive under the car; if the hitch is too high, it tries to climb over the car and the trailer may start undulating while you're towing it. Level or slightly down. Watch when you hook it up. If the back of the car goes down more than an inch or two and the front ends tilts up, the tongue weight is too heavy or your car suspension is too weak. When your trailer is fully loaded, you can set the front wheel on a bathroom scale and start jacking it up to measure the tongue weight. NuCamp recommends a tongue weight between 140 and 180 lbs. A little heavier is better than a little lighter. You might have to move stuff further back in the trailer or transfer to your car to make it work. Nothing to worry about when you're driving it home the first time. The empty (dry) tongue weight as built is gonna be 140-150 lbs.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

Roy, you need to get a bigger tow vehicle

• royh210royh210 Member Posts: 22

@beaky eventually. Lol

2012 Kia SportageπŸš™

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@royh210 , seams that you are correct.

Notice that some TV including some SUV have a very low rear hitch, so I remember my GF toyota Rav 4 V6. So far, my personal TV have always been straigt on.

So you could need a suspension lift for your Hyndai. ( joke try not to go that way....unless πŸ€”)

😊

• royh210royh210 Member Posts: 22
    edited May 2021

LoL, @LuckyJ don't think the Sportage would look good lifted. And wouldn't put much more into it since I'll probably upgrade the TV in a couple years or sooner.

2012 Kia SportageπŸš™