TRANS-WISCONSIN ADVENTURE TRAIL

WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I finally got around to my turn on the A/T. It's mostly dirt roads, Forest Service roads and logging roads. There is an occasional jaunt down blacktop as one ferries between dirt roads, but not much of that.

I mapped (travelled) 55 miles of it on Friday in just over two hours. I'm using GAIA maps on my 8" tablet with gpx files that I downloaded for the route.

Specifics aside, I found myself really enjoying the whole of it. Being out in the woods is always fun for me and the feeling of being waaaayyy off the beaten path is something I've been missing. Lots of interesting history bits, wildlife and just enough of the rough stuff to keep me challenged and interested. Hopefully, I'll be doing another section in the coming few days and will try to continue my adventure here along with photos.

For now, here are a couple random photos. I didn't take many (ALWAYS regret that!) but had my hands full most of the time. Lots of sketchy sand, ruts and rocks! Loving it! It's pretty narrow in a lot of places and that keeps me wondering why I chose a 6 wide over a 5 wide...

More later.

Ironically, I didn't get any photos of some of the more challenging stuff. Lots of atv's, a few parked cars and a couple of logging trucks.

That black blob in the road is "Leverite" (a rock....leav'er right there). Plenty of those to dodge. A few direct hits. If you like teeth-rattling washboards, this is going to be popular with you. I mostly drove in 4 hi to smooth those out. The trailer was very well-behaved, but deserves a bit of TLC, checky, checky maintenance to make sure all the bolts are still snug.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Nice!
    How long is that TWAR in total? And did you mannage to sleep on blm land or otsher free camp spot?

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

LuckyJ,

The trail is around 650 miles total. I can't speak to the sections I've yet to do, but quit a bit of it is in state/county/national forest service land. In addition to the federal (forest service) land, I saw a lot of private/public campgrounds on the way. There are campgrounds plotted in the gpx file I downloaded. Some are on the trail, others a short (4-5 mile) detour off. So plenty of places to camp. Can't speak to the state/county forest camping rules as they vary. Most of the trail north of hwy 29 is national forest land. That's where I'm concentrating my time for now, although it's my plan to do all of it this summer.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

This is great!

We might be heading for south east michigan to see an oncle of my GF and also friends of my own past in IN when border and time allowed, so again if planing permits, it could be a nice place to venture. 😊

• beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

I couldn't find any trace of this trail on onX or Trails Offroad apps

• beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

looks pretty cool though

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I downloaded all of the trail sections using "GAIA". They're"GPX" files, not GPS. I think the entire trail downloaded in more than 8 section maps. There are also a ton of additional files available for detours. I think I have more than 27 total gpx files. There are, on the net, gpS files available but I don't know what app they are for. Maybe "Alltrails" ?

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

@beaky said:
    looks pretty cool though

If I get to this, I think I will get in touch with William to get more info. It coukd also finaly be the time for the coffee/bear we place on the planing more tgan a year ago! 😁