Options

SmartShunt and Ring Terminal Sizes?

HifallHifall Member Posts: 2
edited August 2021 in Battery/Electrical & Solar

I will be getting my new T@G in about a week and I'm already thinking about things to add to it. I have asked the dealer to put a lithium battery in it to which I want to add a SmartShunt. I have already purchased the the shunt itself and a single negative cable, with 5/16" ring terminals, to return from the shunt to the battery. I just received the shunt today along with the cable. Unfortunately, I didn't bother to check the post size on the SmartShunt and the 5/16" cable I bought won't go over the post. That part is an easy fix as I have already ordered another cable with 3/8" ends for the return from the shunt to the battery. I supposed I could have also drilled it out to 3/8" but no big deal. My concern is all of the negative connections on the trailer itself. What size terminals do these have from the factory? If they are 5/16", it's not such an easy fix to be able to put them all onto the 3/8" post of the shunt. For those of you who have installed the SmartShunt, did you have to change any of the ring terminals on the T@G? If the connections are 5/16" what did you do to make it work?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 635
    edited August 2021

When our Victron BMS shunt was installed, we only ran the load side of the shunt to the ground in the front junction box of our TaB. No need to alter any other wiring. It was a simple install. Just remember, if you have solar, the negative battery wire coming out of the controller should be placed on the load side of the shunt.

Here is the location of the junction box (quote from WilliamA):

“there's a junction box on the inside of the left frame rail sort of under the left door. Remove the 2 screws holding the cover on and you'll see a bunch of connections.”

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    packetjunkiepacketjunkie Member Posts: 72

Factory solar was installed, so I installed the shunt right at the battery by taking all the negatives off the posts and moving to the shunt and then adding a cable from the shunt to the negative post.

• Options
    HifallHifall Member Posts: 2

Hey, thanks for the replies.

Yes, I do have solar, so I assume that there's a wire coming from the solar charge controller already connected to the negative side of the battery. I will take it off, and any others, and place them onto the load side of the shunt.

The install itself seems pretty straightforward. My main concern came from the fact that batteries seem to arbitrarily have either a 5/16" ring connection or a 3/8" ring connection. Since I already have the SmartShunt, I know that its connections are the larger 3/8". I just wanted to make sure that the existing connection rings from the trailer to the negative side of the battery would fit onto the 3/8" SmartShunt without some kind of modification. If the trailer connections were 5/16", as is sometimes found on battery connections, they would not slide onto the 3/8" SmartShunt posts. It sounds like, from what you guys are saying, the connections will work as they are.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 635

Not sure of the size of ring connectors, but should be an easy fix.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator