Options

Battery not charging via shore power

Hello. I replaced my original battery a couple months ago. The old battery stopped holding a charge. The new battery has worked great on my last two outings. I store my 2019 T@G in my garage with the fridge turned off. I charge the battery via the shore power connection. I don’t keep the battery connected all the time. But once the charge drops to 10 I plug it back in for few hours. Yesterday a few hours after I unplugged it I noticed the battery meter was out. When I plugged it back in I noticed the power converter fan came on for a second then turned off. Before the fan would stay on for a while.  All the fuses and breakers are good. Battery water levels are good. Battery cut off is off. Multimeter reading of the battery was 5.9.  Is it possible the power converter stop allowing the battery to get charged. If that is what it even does? 

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 635
    edited August 2021

Repeated depletion to 10V killed your new battery. A regular lead acid battery should not regularly be discharged below 50% or 12.1 V. Any lead acid battery must be fully charged before storage.

Here is a good resource https://batteryuniversity.com/

If you are going to monitor your battery by only measuring volts, the battery must be in a rested state. That means, isolating the battery from any load or charge for at least an hour, then checking the voltage.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    Ponch0069Ponch0069 Member Posts: 6

Thank you. Would you recommend me just keep the new battery plugged in while stored in my garage?

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 635
    edited August 2021

I would not recommend keeping your TaG plugged in. You should use a smart charger and trickle charge it, checking the water at intervals. Some owners with regular lead acid batteries check their batteries at intervals and place the, on a charger maybe once a month. I would recommend an AGM battery - very low discharge rate.

Also, if you don’t have a battery switch to turn off, there may be parasitic drain from the TV and stereo, etc.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator