Options

"Le Refuge" mods and up-grade by Lucky J

LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
edited December 2017 in Modifications & Upgrades

Hello to all

Tought I would start a thread about our 2017 T@G max Outback Edition.

We love our little big trailer, but like many others here, some things had to be modified and others, well, were in the "it would be nice to" category. :)

So in a scramble order, I will start with a wind shield for the stove part of the galley.

Note: in our case, we love the stove/sink combo. Yep, the burners are small and very close to one an other, but with the right cookware, they can be very efficient, plus, they are easy to clean and spills will easily drain to the sink. But we purchased smaller pots and pans, a small pressure cooker and other small cooking tools. We are only cooking for 2, maybe 4 persons at a time. So no issues here with small items.

So, here is the windscreen. Made with an aluminium flat bar, (1 1/2" wide I think) and 1 metal screw to close the loop. Since we began using the screen, we did not have any flame out, and it seems that it will concentrate the heat.

Comments

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited December 2017

Ce Bon! Mon Ami!
    One of the simplest, low buck, best ideas yet! I'm stealing it!
    And might I also say, well executed!
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    edited December 2017

Thanks!

And please, help you selfe to it! :)

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229
    edited December 2017

That’s funny. I was just contemplating how to do that. Looks nice!

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options

First idea was to make a wood template to the dimension I wanted, but ran out of time as I was getting ready for a 10 trip. So what the heck, just fold the thing and see if it works. Well it works. So now, have to make it nice and straight!

Winter project! :)

• Options

Ok, theses are not considered up-grades or modification, but could be seen as conveniences.

We are not ones who like to have a side tent, maybe an awning when necessary or a seperate shelter. So I can up with shoe bags that are place just under the door sill on both side. So we do not have to bring shoes inside the T@G and yet we can protect them from criters and weather. When traveling, I si,ply flip them inside under the matress. Material is recycled from the ski resort where I patrol and are from thorn-up chair-lift tower safety cushion.

So here are the shoe bags.

And also used the same material to make a soft side bags that we use for the "dry food" or food that is not refrigerated. Got the idea from the soft water bucket. Advantage, the soft vynil is kind of sticky compare to hard plastic, so does not move around as much and do not realy bang against any surface.

• Options
    BobRBobR Member Posts: 17
    edited January 2018

Good ideas, really like the windscreen for the stove!

Bob Richert
    2018 T@G Outback
    2017 Jeep Rubicon
    Ranger the Golden Retriever

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

with the windscreen slightly higher than the stoves grill, does it interfere with the cookware at all? Would it work as well If it was even with the top of the grill ? Just wondering.
    I use the tinfoil method for this and it seems to work pretty good but it has yet to be terribly windy.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options

@BBsGarage said:
    with the windscreen slightly higher than the stoves grill, does it interfere with the cookware at all? Would it work as well If it was even with the top of the grill ? Just wondering.
    I use the tinfoil method for this and it seems to work pretty good but it has yet to be terribly windy.

It looks higher, but it is actualy level or slightly lower than the top of the grill.

• Options

@BobR said:
    Good ideas, really like the windscreen for the stove!

Thank you BobR

• Options
    BobRBobR Member Posts: 17

FYI, the stove grid will pop of the stove and damage the grommets if you are doing a lot of hard bouncing off-road. I recommend storing the grid if you hit the trail. Replacement grommets are $3.75 each plus$12 shipping :(

Bob Richert
    2018 T@G Outback
    2017 Jeep Rubicon
    Ranger the Golden Retriever

• Options

@BobR said:
    FYI, the stove grid will pop of the stove and damage the grommets if you are doing a lot of hard bouncing off-road. I recommend storing the grid if you hit the trail. Replacement grommets are $3.75 each plus$12 shipping :(

Lol, thank you for the info. I did pull it on dirt roads with pot hole and washboard, so far, it as hold. But I will look into it. But I think that my air back suspension that is plan should help a lot. Should be a spring project. :)

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193
    edited February 2018

@LuckyJ said:
    So I can up with shoe bags that are place just under the door sill on both side. So we do not have to bring shoes inside the T@G and yet we can protect them from criters and weather. When traveling, I si,ply flip them inside under the matress. Material is recycled from the ski resort where I patrol and are from thorn-up chair-lift tower safety cushion.

So here are the shoe bags.

What are the shoe bags connected to?

2017 T@G Max

• Options

Shoe bags? That's what flat fenders are for!
    Shoes? You guys wear shoes? I just put fresh duct tape on the bottoms of my feet. Keeps the snow from sticking....

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

I can't figure out how you got your trailer with cabinets in the floor.... Oh wait....Nevermind, my laptop was upside down....again....

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Lucky,
    I went into town yesterday to get the parts I need to pirate your wind-be-gone stove shield and came home with a fresh tank of propane, a set of tires for my Jeep, groceries, rabbit food and spray paint for the soapbox derby car and 3 bars of Ivory soap. Sigh.... I guess if I want to get the stuff I need, I'll have to first get a bigger car.....Sigh....

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

@WilliamA said:
    Shoes? You guys wear shoes? I just put fresh duct tape on the bottoms of my feet. Keeps the snow from sticking....

WilliamA

Falt fenders are great for shoes indeed, but not that great when it rains. That is actually in those time I wear shoes, when the snow is cristed by fressing rain, duct tape sandals become a little slippery. Lol

• Options

@WilliamA said:
    Lucky,
    I went into town yesterday to get the parts I need to pirate your wind-be-gone stove shield and came home with a fresh tank of propane, a set of tires for my Jeep, groceries, rabbit food and spray paint for the soapbox derby car and 3 bars of Ivory soap. Sigh.... I guess if I want to get the stuff I need, I'll have to first get a bigger car.....Sigh....

WilliamA

Yeah, I here you. Last time I went out to town, I took my utility trailer so I was sure I was able to bring back a bag of coffee beans! ;)

• Options

@WilliamA said:

WilliamA

Remember you Rasta blasta squirels that were trying to open the bird feeders, ober here, the duct tape roll is for them. I leave it outside as winter basic supply. It is very nice to see what they can do with that! :)

• Options

@WilliamA said:
    I can't figure out how you got your trailer with cabinets in the floor.... Oh wait....Nevermind, my laptop was upside down....again....

WilliamA

Yeah well, sometimes, the right english word is not coming up, so I might also end up walking on the celling and looking up at the floor, and it as nothing to do with the computer being up-side down! =)

• Options

@LuckyJ said:

@WilliamA said:

WilliamA

Yeah well, sometimes, the right english word is not coming up, so I might also end up walking on the celling and looking up at the floor, and it as nothing to do with the computer being up-side down! =)

Mon Dieu!

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Lucky,
    I finally got around to picking up the aluminum I needed to make your wind deflector for my stove. My design is a variation on your theme but I'm lovin it. I narrowed the corners for the small burner and fashioned it so my coffee pot will fit well and still work in the wind. Thanks to you for the idea! I had been messing around with a few ideas but yours struck me as a great design and much smaller than mine. I made it so it fits tightly onto the burner shield so it'll stay put. It's a bit small for my larger fry pan but I intend to trim the top on the larger burner side to get a good fit.

I used 2"x36"x1/8" thick aluminum. It fit tightly without trimming any off the end. If you wanted a bigger one, you'll have to get a longer piece of aluminum.

My coffee pot fits well down in the small burner side where I usually use it. This should make my stove more efficient. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    edited March 2018

@WilliamA
    Nice work!

After seing yours and an other one on the T@G facebook page made out of stainless, I think I will have to spend a little more time on mine to bring it to a new level of crafstman ship.

B);)

• Options
    LightningdonLightningdon Member Posts: 110
    edited February 2018

I may do something similar. Maybe make the height the same as the cooking grid so it can support a griddle or other large pot. Maybe drill some holes along the lower perimeter to allow controlled airflow when I have a large pot or griddle on top.

The one I made is like you are thinking for hight. I am level with the grid, and like William said, the space / slot by the sink brings enough air to keep the flame runing. Plus it is not sealed, so air find it way and unless you use a very large pan that cover the two burners, I really don't think that it will flame out.

Like william, we do have smaller pots and pans, but I wanted to keep the possibility to use larger ones if needed to. So the aluminium stip is level to the grid.

What is nice, is that you leav it on all the time (looks like it belongs), and easy to pull up for cleaning.

Also seams like it concentrate the heat around the pots and under the pans.

Bring us back a pic and comments. :)

• Options

Don,
    I was thinking it might need a few air holes as well but the left edge facing the sink is open at the bottom and my small diameter sauce pans and coffee pot leave room around the top so I think I will try it as is and see how it works before I make any more modifications.

LuckyJ,
    T@G has a Facebook page? But of course they do. What was I thinking! I am on so many forums now that I can't keep up! Don't think I want to add another one.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 110

Do you know the alloy strength of the aluminum you're using? 3003?

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

• Options

@OutdoorEd said:
    Do you know the alloy strength of the aluminum you're using? 3003?

Perso, I have no clues. I went with what is available at the hardware store in the hardware dep in the display box for metal pieces. Probably among the lowest grade available.

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

I found the aluminum flat bar to copy his idea at Lowe’s 48 in long and 1 1/2 in tall. It was easy to shape it to fit the stove and I drilled one hole to secure the ends together with a screw.

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

Finally snagged the XL out of storage and installed the stove wind block. Ended up using 1 inch by 1/8 in flat bar. Leaves about 1/4 inch exposed but I think it'll work really well. Made mine a little tight in the short direction and can't imagine it would fall off.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options

Man! I am begining to feel the pressure here.

So many of you guys ent a head with that and only have my word for it! I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do mine! ;)

• Options
    CampHubCampHub Member Posts: 113

Windy this weekend. Bought parts to build the mod on the way home, mod now built. Great mod. Thank you LuckyJ!

All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.