Options

"Le Refuge" mods and up-grade by Lucky J

13»

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Hello @WilliamA

For the shocks, they are something I grab in an electronic store, in the surplus corner. I did not search for to much details when I saw them, they were new, short and cheap. Like 12 $ each. From what I can see, They are military surplus, and I do think thay they are the ones for M101 canadian trailers. But ounce I gor to mount them, I realized that they were a bit long. But I was kind of at the point that I needed to install them to get out and road test. They will get change as needed.

The arms are braced lattler type. 2 brace each. The arms are in my mind not the problem anymore. I do beleive that some of the flex comes from the axle tube, and the rod end treaded rods. For the axle tube, like mentionned before, my plane is to move the arm assembly outward much closer to the trailer side and also use a C beam that would do the link between the tube and the arms. And the rod end will become bigger.

But I will try tommorow to get more pics and bag descriptions.

As for weight transfert. My run did include some sharp turn at good speed, and I was surprised to see how level it remained. But if nee be, I dod have at least to option. Ist, is two seperate vavle stem, one for each side and also I did remove the sway bar from the back of my LJ, so I could reuse it on this set-up for testing.

As always, thank you for your comments! :)

More detail to come.

• Options

@LuckyJ said:

@Michael said:
    I'm not a mechanic, more of a electronics kind of guy but with all those codes I bet you have a chassis ground issue somewhere.
    Good luck..

Thanks @Michael , grounds to tye block is on my list as soon as I get back to it next monday with a few more things. One thing fire sure, I will know more about tyat jeep, once it is fixed. And not a bad thing, since I plan on having it for at least until it die, hopefully, at least an other 10 years. It's a 2005 (the two doors unlimited) ;)

Ok, problem solved on the jeep a few weeks ago. Turn out the ground inside the computer is bad. Was able to byepass tge ground that goes out the computer and is coment to all the sensors that were coming up on the scan. So basically installed a permanebt ground from body to ground cable out of tge computer to thoses swnsors and Voilà!
    So, now getting ready for our trip that will get on its way 8 days from now, heding all the way to tge Great smokwy mountains and slowly coming back north east during the remining of the two weeks. :)

• Options

An other jeep problems came up on our trip a few weeks back, the ingition switch would not allow me to start the jeep after stopping from registering for a following night at the campground south of the Great Smokey Mountains National park. Had to restart the jeep in reverse compression, when back north to Seiverville Tenesse to find an Autozone store where I could find some wire, connector, a momentary switch, and back to our camp site to make to installation so we could go in with our trip, all this w/o stoping the jeep.

so after about 2 hours at camp, The jeep was working again and the fixe as bine working without a hitch since then. :)

• Options

Propane cylinder size mod and relocation.

So, I wanted to go from our oem 20 lbs propane cylinder that was still on its original fill fro when the trailer was purchased new in the spring of 2017 (note that the propane cylinder was also used at the cabin on 2 occasion to heat up and cook a large crabe pot within that periode and is still probably 1/4 full) and replace it with a 5 pounder. I also wanted to relocate it, the same way I did with my spare tire, so on the side of the trailer, the left side this time. This as allowed me to place a piece of sheet metal to the bake of the oem aluminium front box to store stuff w/o losing any, and also install a lock on the box. The sylinder is also more accessible near the galley, and with an protective bag that open from the top (also open at the bottom so that propane would leak if needed), make it easy, quick and convenient to turn on and off. Sorry, no in process pics, I was planing to, tough about it, but forgot to get the camera before it was installed.

• Options

AC switch foot protector installed.

So, I finally went on with the installation of the AC protector switch, and simply love it. no more accidental turn off, witch was happening on a regular basis during a night, either from me, or the dog that would be sleeping in that corner.

I went with brown, cause it was the color of the wall, but now, it is very different from the other wall plug. Hummmm!

• Options
    VikingViking Member Posts: 1

Regarding the grommets for the stove grille, they are just regular wire grommets that you can get in your local hardware store for less than a dollar. And I dont think it is the bumpy driving that causes them to wear. Mine seem to tear after I remove and replace the grill a few times to clean it.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517
    edited December 2019

Hey Luc, you don’t need the protector above, you and the dog just need to sleep in another corner of the trailer is all. 👍🏻🤣😂🤣

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

@Viking said:
    Regarding the grommets for the stove grille, they are just regular wire grommets that you can get in your local hardware store for less than a dollar. And I dont think it is the bumpy driving that causes them to wear. Mine seem to tear after I remove and replace the grill a few times to clean it.

M

I did try some electrical grommets, but they did not last. And yes, after some driving, the grill was of tghe stove top.

Now after few trips, it is holding great! 😊

• Options
    csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353

I'm thinking of purchasing a sheet of diamond plate aluminum 1/16 inch thick for both the splash panel as well as the windscreen. I wonder...will the heat from the burners impact the aluminum?

• Options

@csonni said:
    I'm thinking of purchasing a sheet of diamond plate aluminum 1/16 inch thick for both the splash panel as well as the windscreen. I wonder...will the heat from the burners impact the aluminum?

Well, so far, no isues at all.

In my case, I went a little overboard. A went to the millwright shop I have around for somethings, and I always look around for what ever small piece he as laying around and saw this left 9ver plate that was 1/8.
    A few weeks after installung it, I was at my local hardware store, and I saw that thwy had the door kicker plate that was tge same tickness you mentiinned. Sure It would work, but mine was installed.

If you also make tge wind guard that you will probably need, it should be fine. Ours is after 4 years. I was more worried about tge wood. Btw, tge larger the pan, tge furter out tge flame might go.

😊