Drawer in place of microwave

We have a 2021 Boondock XL and took out the microwave in favor of more storage space. I used 1/2" birch plywood and 14" slides to make a large drawer. I saw some others here buying factory cabinet fronts, but I opted to have the drawer face sit flush against the cabinet framing, mostly because I didn't want to have to open two cabinet doors to access the drawer. Very much prefer this setup to a microwave we would've barely used.

It still needs the finishing touches, but as I was taking these photos, I immediately thought about modding it again... I don't think our gear will take up the full vertical space, so I might trim down the height to add a smaller drawer above, and maybe a cutting board.

Tips:

• Great microwave removal instructions here from @zgfiredude
  • One 2x4' sheet of plywood covered this perfectly
  • The left side of the cabinet sits flush with the frame, but the right has a 1/2" gap. I added some of the leftover 1/2" plywood in this space on the right, which fit perfectly to create a flat surface to install the drawer slide.
  • Make sure to allow for space in the back for the propane line. I didn't account for the fact that the line jutted out more as you get closer to the stove, so I had to shorten the drawer depth a touch after my first test.

2021 T@G XL Boondock
2017 Honda Pilot EX-L

Comments

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Nice work!

I do beleive as you do than a other small drawer would be more practical than one single large bin.

As for birch thickness, I have played with that for personal project in the past, made a drawer system for the back of my jeep wrangler that inclued a fridge slide for a 35 quart and more with 250 lbs slides and went with 3/8" thick. That thing as been holding just like new and I absolutely do not regret tge thiner ply. Lighter and you gain a little space. 1/4" gain is a 1/4" when you close a box. 😊

• HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

Love the single drawer mirasola. Perfect for a coffee maker, toaster, margarita machine...so many large or bulky items. Looks great.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe