Reducing phantom drain while boondocking

OK, so in preparation for our N. American year long tour, we have begun trying to reduce phantom power drains to eek out the most from our 100ah lithium battery while off grid. We have the factory solar setup, and we have a small 2000 watt generator in case we really need to use it. I have done the propane solenoid mod (rubber hose) and the switch to turn the TV off. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to turn the radio ooff completely so the display doesn't run constantly. We have the Jensen radio with the DVD player on our 2019 Tag. Is there a simple way to install a kill switch for this radio, or am I being too nit-picky? Is the power draw insignificant?

Comments

• MrGGBrownMrGGBrown Member Posts: 42
    edited September 2021

The previous owner installed a switch to cut all power to the Jensen stereo and tv in our trailer. It's that little toggle switch just to the right of the head unit, and it's wired into the power wires leading to the head unit. He said he did it to shut off the LCD, but must not have noticed that that can be done on the head unit itself.
    Not sure if you have the same model Jensen, but my shunt-based battery monitor shows the draw while the unit is turned off is just .10amps/1 watt. That's for both the stereo and tv. Not very much.

Greg Brown
    Bellevue, WA
    2016 PVTT T@G

• HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

I have a 2019 as well, it is not the same unit. The best I have done is turn the dimmer switch on the unit all the way down.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

With display on Jensen turned down, the draw is insignificant. I just came back from a cross country trip. San Diego to UP Michigan. 5 plus weeks. Have a 100AH Renogy lithium battery. Took my 100 watt solar suitcade and propane generator. Did not have a need to use either for the entire trip.

Battery was good for at least 4 days in a row and the chargeup came from my Rav4 while driving, or shore power when we had the desire for the air conditioner.

My television and usb charge ports are switched. The only draw that I have on my 2018 T@G is the Norcold refrigerator, Jenson and Renogy battery monotor.

I charge phones, tablets and speaker with a combination of T@G and usb power blocks.

The lithium battery is a game changer.

I put a switch on my 12 volt line from the tow vehicle. That way I could assure my T@G battery does not charge my tow vehicle battery.

• rich67rich67 Member Posts: 164

Thanks guys, I was hoping that I was making much ado about nothing.