E-Bike Transport

Hello, my wife and I both have fat tire electric bikes. Hers is about 65 lbs without the battery and mine is about 45 without the battery. I've done a bit of searching but it appears to be something nobody has quite figured out yet.

Has anyone found a way to transport fat tire electric bikes on a 2022 T@G Boondock? I've been looking at tounge mounted racks but they all seem like they won't work without exposing more of the A-Frame.

Comments

• LandpaddlerLandpaddler Member Posts: 21

We have 2 fat tire e bikes. We took off front wheels and handlebars, stacked the mattresses and, put them in the tag on a few trips towing with outback. It’s a fair amount of work and if I was going to do that again I would take the pedals off. We are now towing with a small pickup and have a truckbed bike tack where the front wheel hangs out the tailgate. Still some work getting them in the truck.

2021 Tag XL Boondock
    Chevy Colorado ZR2
    Subaru Outback

• Brandan78Brandan78 Member Posts: 2

Thanks @Landpaddler, how tight is it between the bike tires and the trailer jack? I was wondering how well those work with the weight of the bikes on the tailgate. I have a F150 so its a little taller but we've been loading the bikes in the bed already. Hers is a step thru cruiser and mine is foldable so I put hers in diagonally and fold mine up and lay it in the corner.

We actually haven’t towed with the truck yet but it looks like there is plenty of room. We are going out next week and I will let you know if we have trouble. I think the weight will be fine as well. The motor is on the back wheel and the battery in the middle of the bike

2021 Tag XL Boondock
    Chevy Colorado ZR2
    Subaru Outback

2021 Tag XL Boondock
    Chevy Colorado ZR2
    Subaru Outback

I pointed both tires out and then had no problems if I backed in straight. It’s still a lot of work I’m going to check into extending the hitch and adding a bike rack. Found a great bike trail around Navajo lake in southern Utah.

2021 Tag XL Boondock
    Chevy Colorado ZR2
    Subaru Outback