Propane solenoid gets VERY HOT - that's not right!

I know there are discussions about reducing/eliminating the vampire draw of the propane safety solenoid in the Tag trailers (and perhaps others). My question is how hot should that thing get? After the hatch is open for only a few minutes, the solenoid on my trailer is too hot to touch, even for a moment. Obviously, any heat generated by the solenoid is wasted energy and contributes to the vampire draw, but too hot to touch? That doesn't seem right. Indeed, with the solenoid being that hot, it seems that the solenoid might ignite the propane in the line - a huge safety problem. Has anyone else seen this issue? Will NuCamp fix it?

My wife wonders why I go to the woods and then work hard to create all the comforts of home.
2021 Tag XL Boondock

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 631

Please call nuCamp at (330) 852-4811 Ext. 834 or via email at Help@nucamprv.com. This is the first I have heard of this happening.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• RadicalDadRadicalDad Member Posts: 11

I wrote to NuCamp, and they said that it is normal for the solenoid to get warm. Ahem. They aren't listening. I finally got around to buying multimeter that can measure DC amps. The solenoid is drawing 1.26 amps after subtracting out the other vampires (12V outlet indicator lights, radio in the 2021 Tag XL Boondock, perhaps other things). A solenoid should only draw .25 to .35 amps, so something is very wrong with this one. I've asked the dealer to talk to NuCamp. We shall see....

My wife wonders why I go to the woods and then work hard to create all the comforts of home.
    2021 Tag XL Boondock

• JayJay Member Posts: 71

I too had mine get very hot, so I removed it and put a bypass on.