Options

SmartShunt location in a Tag XL Boondock?

I have a 2021 Tag XL Boondock. I'd like to get a Victron SmartShunt but I am worried that the Bluetooth won't be able to penetrate the metal diamond plate if I mount it in the tongue box next to the battery. Has anyone mounted the SmartShunt in the metal tongue box, and if so, does it communicate well with the existing Victron MPPT controller and your smart phone app via Bluetooth? With the tongue box closed, of course. If not, where are folks mounting the Victron SmartShunt on the Tag XL series with metal tongue boxes?

Thanks!

My wife wonders why I go to the woods and then work hard to create all the comforts of home.
2021 Tag XL Boondock

Comments

• Options
    AZTagAZTag Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2022

I installed the SmartShunt inside the 2021 T@G tongue box on the back of the box up high to avoid moisture (see photo). It communicated fine with the app if the user was inside the T@G or outside no further back than than the aft end of the fenders. The SmartShunt does not communicate with the solar controller; the app communicates with the solar controller. You can view both with the same app, simply choosing which device you want to view. For either device you need to be relatively close to the T@G to communicate with the app - they aren't designed for long distance.

Since you're in the market for a SmartShunt, this might be your lucky day. I'm selling my lightly used, excellent condition, SmartShunt with the optional temperature sensor. List price for the two combined is $186; selling for the bargain price of $75+shipping. PM me for details if interested. Sold 7/18/22

The SmartShunt worked great for the season. The dealer-installed Interstate deep cycle battery, not so great. I replaced it with a Renogy 100A Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate battery with a bluetooth module that provides the same (and more) functions as the SmartShunt. So I removed the SmartShunt and it is looking for a new home.

For the electrically-inclined folks on the Forum who love the details, you might be wondering what the two alligator clips are for in the photo? They power the Rid-A-Rat, which is a very important accessory for anyone living in or camping in the Sonoran Desert as pack rats can be rather destructive.

2021 T@G Boondock
    2022 4Runner TRD Off Road
    Tucson, AZ

• Options
    RadicalDadRadicalDad Member Posts: 11

Actually, the SmartShunt DOES communicate directly with the solar controller if you set it up in the app. Victron calls this the VE.Smart Network and it communicates directly between Victron devices via Bluetooth or wired via their VE cables and one of their GX controllers. They say the MPPT will charge the battery more efficiently and protectively by having better info gleaned directly from the shunt.

Since AZTag says the Bluetooth signal becomes unusable by the aft end of the fenders, and that is about where the Victron MPPT controller is mounted inside the trailer, I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who has mounted a SmartShunt inside the metal tongue box and had it communicate effectively with the MPPT controller.

My wife wonders why I go to the woods and then work hard to create all the comforts of home.
    2021 Tag XL Boondock

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 635

@RadicalDad - I reviewed the TaB forum regarding the BT ability when the SmartShunt is tub mounted. The reduced signal strength appeared to be an issue and they speculated it was due to the solid aluminum back of the new 2021 diamond plate tub. (Previous tub versions had the open back.) The owner who reported the issue later reported that he thought it was related to his phone as he was able to get a good signal using his iPad/tablet. There was no problem with the SmartShunt/MPPT interface via BT. I think I would wire it up in the tub and test it.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator