Options

Is Smoke Alarm glued on?

The smoke alarm in my 2021 Tag XL Boondock seems to have died. I have put in a fresh battery (checked with a meter), held the test button for 15 seconds, and done everything else I can think of to reset it. Still chirps every 15 to 30 seconds. (I haven’t exactly timed it).

Is this thing somehow wired to the house battery? Even with the old 9v battery removed and the house battery switch disconnected, the thing still beeped after 36 hours. How can it possibly do that?

Anyway, I decided to give up and replace it. With the 9v battery removed, I unscrewed both screws, top and bottom, but I can’t get it off the wall. Am I off the wall? How do I remove this thing?

My wife wonders why I go to the woods and then work hard to create all the comforts of home.
2021 Tag XL Boondock

Comments

• Options
    hooksnatcherhooksnatcher Member Posts: 14

The smoke alarm and separate carbon monoxide alarm were both mounted to the wall of our 2017 T@G with screws; they came off easy when I had to replace them last year. I used a combo alarm as a replacement. Both of these were powered by a 9v battery. Just curious about your continued chirping of your smoke alarm after the battery was removed; are you sure that it's not the other alarm chirping? Just a thought.

RV 2017 T@G XL TV's 2016 Subaru Crosstrek, 2019 Subaru Outback, 2002 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

@hooksnatcher My thought exactly.

Not going to chirp without battery power.

• Options
    RadicalDadRadicalDad Member Posts: 11

Right. How can it possibly chirp after 36 hours with the 9v battery removed? That’s why I wondered if it was somehow connected to the house battery and that’s why I couldn’t get it off the wall. More screws protecting the wires? So weird.

As for the carbon monoxide alarm, for some reason it was never mounted. Have no idea where I put it. Unless … it’s in the trailer somewhere and that is what’s chirping. I will search and report.

I hate chirping alarms. Can’t ever tell which one is the problem. After looking for days for a chirping alarm in my house, I replaced them all with alarms that announce what room they are in whenever they have a notification. Soooo much better.

Anyway, has anyone else ever seen one of these glued on? More than 2 screws? I’m calling the dealer in the morning. Maybe they can help. Was hoping to stop annoying the neighbors before Monday morning. Sigh.

My wife wonders why I go to the woods and then work hard to create all the comforts of home.
    2021 Tag XL Boondock

• Options

Oh, and thanks for the tip about the carbon monoxide alarm. I had completely forgotten about its existence. Will be looking for it before I embarrass myself further.

2021 Tag XL Boondock

• Options

I found the carbon monoxide detector stashed away in the trailer. Problem solved. Thanks for the tip. I had completely forgotten about it.

I’d still like to take the smoke alarm off the wall and replace it with a combo alarm like @hooksnatcher mentioned. Mine definitely seems like it was glued up there. Not sure how I’m going to pry it off without doing damage. Why would it be glued and screwed? Makes no sense for a non-structural object.

2021 Tag XL Boondock

• Options
    BlueTAGBlueTAG Member Posts: 21

The smoke alarm is screwed in. Take the cover off and
    you will see the screws. You twist it and it comes right off. Don't unscrew it.