Options

First Mods: Tongue Jack & Spare

Spent some quality time in the driveway this afternoon with the new T@G, whom I believe has named itself "Wanderlust III" (numbers 1 and 2 are Subaru Outback tow vehicles, FWIW)...

First mod was replacing the crank-up tongue jack with a Ram electric jack from eTrailer, followed shortly by relocating the spare tire from it's absolutely silly location under the trailer.

I'm of mixed mind regarding mounting the spare this way, as it does definitely increase the tongue weight over the stock spare location. We'll see how it goes; I may (with nüCamp's blessing, of course) relocate the spare wheel mount to the rear curbside aft of the axle, similar to the way the new '23 Boonies have their spares mounted.

To be continued...

Dave in Michigan
'21 T@G XL
"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

Comments

• Options
    The_RiggerThe_Rigger Member Posts: 116

EDIT: the spare will remain on the tongue. According to the Mothership, a pre-'23 T@G doesn't have the same rear wall reinforcements that the new models do, which permit mounting the spare on the side wall aft of the wheel arch.
    Oh well; it was a nice thought...

Dave in Michigan
    '21 T@G XL
    "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

• Options
    Pup7Pup7 Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2023

@The_Rigger said:
    EDIT: the spare will remain on the tongue. According to the Mothership, a pre-'23 T@G doesn't have the same rear wall reinforcements that the new models do, which permit mounting the spare on the side wall aft of the wheel arch.
    Oh well; it was a nice thought...

The one thing that really annoys me about my 2022 T@g Boonie is the ground clearance lost by putting the spare - unrecessed - underneath the camper. :s Your mod is a brilliant idea. Do you know what the weight of the spare is?

2022 T@g Boondock 5WTV: 2023 Subaru Outback Wilderness

• Options
    The_RiggerThe_Rigger Member Posts: 116
    edited June 2023

The spare itself is around 27-28 lbs. Combined weight of the wheel and mount is around 40. I may ditch the steel wheel for an aluminum one, to shed a pound or three on the tongue.

In retrospect, I guess I should've checked the tongue weight with the spare slung underneath the camper frame before I started, to get a baseline number, but I just didn't think of it.

Dave in Michigan
    '21 T@G XL