Options

Next Mod: The Galley

The_RiggerThe_Rigger Member Posts: 111
edited October 2023 in Modifications & Upgrades

Continuing the theme of modding the galley, which began with adding the Iceco fridge, I did a little work adding items today.

First, a 3M Command Hook shower caddy makes an awfully nice catch-all over the sink, for whatever happens to wind up there.

Next, a magnetic knife block over the range seemed like a useful addition. Neodymium magnets embedded in a block of acacia wood; IIRC summat like $25 on Amazon...

I saw a T@G on YouTube where the owner added a strip of peel-&-stick backsplash tiles to the underside of the hatch, right where things in the passenger-side shelf would bounce on the road and clobber the underside of the closed hatch, doing assorted forms of destruction. Seemed like a good addition to me, as well as looking quite nice.
I found a nice 10"x10" Smart Tile pattern of self-adhesive backsplash in the flooring department of the Big Orange Box Store, on sale for $40 a four-pack. A little love with a straight-edge and a razor knife, and I've got eight half-tiles that'll connect together in a nice pattern.

Before:

The tiling process underway. I started by wiping down the bottom 6" of the hatch with 90% isopropyl alcohol on a soft cotton rag, to be sure the panel was as clean as a Very Clean Thing. I had trimmed the left edge of the leftmost tile to fit flush against the aluminum frame channel, then worked my way left-to-right, tiling the hatch and overlapping the "teeth" of the tiles with the gaps in the previous tile's pattern. The adhesive appears to be quite strong, but it takes a while to fully take a set, so I had a bit of time to correct the few boo-boos that cropped up in the work. I also took a bit of time before starting with the first tile to lay everything out on a table and give it the Hairy Eyeball, swapping the different tiles around to see what distribution of the different colors looked the best to me.

Trimming the fourth tile to clear the power wire for the overhead light was a minor pain, but that was really the only annoyance. The whole job took about an hour and a quarter, primarily because I had to peel & rehang a couple of tiles that I fat-fingered on their first attempt.

And here's the finished project:

I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out. Next galley projects will be adding some drawers & redoing the innards of the cabinets, but that may have to wait 'til next spring.

Dave in Michigan
'21 T@G XL
"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

Comments