Options

Something I found

Hello, while I was looking for something else on the web, I stumble on this site.

I am not adding any comments to this, just the link. I have no link what so ever with them.

https://frontrangegear.com/products/t-g-teardrop-trailer-with-roof-top-tent-custom-build

Comments

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

The Tepui rooftop tents are manufactured in Santa Cruz. They are very popular around here. Just saw one today at Seacliff State Beach. I don’t know if putting one on top of a teardrop is a good idea. There is a ladder involved for access and all that weight and wind drag on the roof of the teardrop doesn’t appeal to me and might have detrimental effects to the integrity of the roof structure. That arrangement will however make the teardrop a two story and double the occupant load in a small footprint. Good for tight camp sites.🤪

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@TomD this as been in my question list for NuCamp, and the only answer I got from them is that a 100 lbs load no matter what is was, could be carry while driving on the T@G outback /boundock rack. I have transported large see kayaks on a roof rack, and even so they were lighter than a RTT, they were pulling like crazy compare to the RTT. Since most RTT are less or around 100 pds, should not be a problems. As for sleeping in it after, dynamic load (while traveling) put a lot of stress on a structure, more than just standing on it. I would make sure that the bars are ober aluminium cross member of the frame. But the vent will not open anymore.

And last but not least, the link is from a NuCamp dealer. Sooo.... I do not...... Take a position about this yet.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

I agree with Tom and would not risk the integrity of the sidewalls. I'd go with NüCamp's recommendations too and adhere to their specs and weight rating.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

@Michigan_Mike said:
    I agree with Tom and would not risk the integrity of the sidewalls. I'd go with NüCamp's recommendations too and adhere to their specs and weight rating.

Remeber Mike that this answer does not prvent a 90 pbs load from reaping the roof of the trailer because of wind drag. And would still be within spec of NuCamp.

I am not saying go for it.

I am just saying that I have the feeling that NuCamp is caught in a bind, since they want to offer the rack and I not sure about how their trailer can really handle it.

Rack manufacturer offer a chart with dynamic load and static load. nC will only say. 100 pds. And not specifiyng that is is one or both.

I guess we will see what happen to this web site.

To me, it is food for taughts. ;)

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358
    edited February 2018

Tepui’s two cheapest most basic vehicle top tent systems weigh in at 95lbs. All the 14 other systems exceed 125lbs. So....you’re ok with at least two systems as long as you don’t use them or drive somewhere.😁

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

@TomD said:
    Tepui’s two cheapest most basic vehicle top tent systems weigh in at 95lbs. All the 14 other systems exceed 125lbs. So....you’re ok with at least two systems as long as you don’t use them or drive somewhere.😁

My ARB is at 100 pds. And my 2 sea 16 ft and 15' 6" are at a total of 85 lbs, my 12 classic mark 4 zodiac is about 80 lbs. So yep, I can dive around with any of thoses, just wonder if roof will still be on the trailer when I get there. B)