Options

Removing the A/C unit

Hey all,
I removed my A/C unit and wanted to fill the space to make a spot for my clothes. I pulled the unit out along with the drip pan, lower fan (12 volt) and then cut the top half off the styrofoam surround.

Here's the hole and bits behind where the A/C unit was. I spent some time getting the wiring tidy and out of the way in there. I wanted to be able to access things quickly without a lot of tear-out so I mulled it over for a bit.

I built this slide-in box in two pieces. The back is actually two pieces that screw to the wall behind the opening. The sides of the box are 1/4" plywood because the trim piece leaves only that much on each side. Top and bottom as well as the back piece are all 1/2" plywood.

I slid the box in and marked where the rear would go, then pulled it out and screwed the back panels (I made it in two pieces because I wanted to use what I had. It would be easier were it just one) to the wall behind using the pencil marks I drew as a guide.

I then slid the box in so that it is held up by the back panel pieces. It fits tight to the inside lip behind the factory trim piece that surrounds the A/C unit.

I screwed the trim piece back on and it's done. The box fits snugly, doesn't have any fasteners holding it in save the two screws that hold on the front trim fascia. Should I need to access wiring etc, I just need to pull the fascia, pull the box out and that's it. The floor of the box sits on the inside of the hole so there's no support needed.

Now I will use the two remaining fans as a vent. I haven't decided if I want them to be pushers or pullers. In any case, I want to remove the two vent fans and isolate them with rubber to reduce the noise. As I said, I pulled the bottom A/C fan and will fill the hole in the bottom of the trailer that used to be a cold air vent for the A/C.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• Options
    LightningdonLightningdon Member Posts: 110

Looks really good, William. As for the fans, don't fight nature, heat rises so have your fans moving air towards your cowbells.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I think you're right Don. I am going to try running them that way first and see how it goes. I had 2 computer fans in my LG working as pullers and loved it.

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@WilliamA , nice job! I have to say that I am curious about why you pulled the ac out. Is it cause you simply does not use it? I had to use ours, even up here in canada a few times last summer, so what motivate you to pull it?

• Options

LuckyJ,
    I've thought about your question for more than a week now. It drives more to the heart of my psyche than any technical post has since I've been doing forums on RV living. I could and have written essay after essay about that very thing and, in the end, have decided not to share the philosophy of that argument here. A good argument can be had by reading Henry David Thoreau's biopic "On Walden Pond" about being part of the environment as a matter of conscious choice. Another good analogy can be found in Mark Twain's "Two ways of seeing a River" essay, found in his "life On the Mississippi".

For all the boundless technological advance we can draw upon to solve all of our personal "first-world problems", we as a species fall upon our collective faces in the fundamental category of informed dissent. I have little faith in our collective ability to point to any area of disagreement and have a cogent discussion of those important but esoteric differences.

I have watched my fellow inhabitants set the thermostat in the summer to a temperature that they would never tolerate in the winter. The exact mechanism within us that pays money to install a yardlight, then pays more money to put up blinds to keep the light out.
    So for myself, and myself alone, so as not to ignite an off-topic debate, I'll just say:

I took it out, so I can hear the wolves,
    and Coyotes

An excerpt from the Book:
    "Looking For Livingston"
    The second of two poems "Points of Light".
    By
    William D Adams

Points of light (overcast night)

Stars
    hidden beyond a blanket
    of clouds

force me to focus on the
    constellations
    of yardlights.

Sodium and Xenon
    arclight
    blue white
    pale yellow

that shine on sleeping
    farms

where the occupant turns on
    the yardlight

then closes the curtains
    to keep it out

give me pause to wonder
    if there is intelligent life here...

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Ok, so I understand that you simlly never used it.

Good enough.

In our case, or should I say in my case, my winter appartment ambiant temp is set at 64.4 F, so 18C

I can sleep in anything up from this to 77, above that, I need a lot of air moving and AC is really nice above that, specially if not able to move air around with a fan.

We are making it to orlando FL next mid august, so for now, I can not see my self w/o A/C, until I have reaaly tried it.

Will see.

Thank!

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

Nice mod William! Hey, if it works for your needs then it is more practical to enjoy rather than having an AC unit that can only be used a few times a year and with a 30A hookup or via a generator. We've spent long durations in the desert boondocking without AC and in temps above 100 F, so it can be done.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

@Michigan_Mike I am sure you know this, but the AC will work with a 20 amps hook up. This is how I use mine most of the time when I am not on a campground, like at home or a friend's place, never got any isues about it.

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358
    edited March 2018

William...Used my AC once in the last three years. It was in Utah and I had an electrical hookup. The wife couldn’t handle the sound and the wind and it was shut off in deference to here wishes. Hottest night I’ve ever slept while camping, but I survived. I look at that AC now and envision the storage possibilities because of you. 🧐

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

Hey Tom,
    I also don't enjoy the noise. If I were to live where the humidity is high I would leave it in but for such little use it doesn't make sense. The few times I did try it I ran it on a 15 amp house circuit. I don't use my 30 amp cable and don't bother to take it with anymore.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    nmmikenmmike Member Posts: 20

I bought a 2017 six wide Rough Rider and it came without the A/C. I have a solar panel 100W Renogy that satisfies my electrical uses of the LED lights and water pump. I charge my battery at home on a trickle charger and have a 30 amp cord just in case.
    But since I live in New Mexico , and camp here or in CO , I enjoy the simplicity of not having to deal with the A/C and all that it entails.
    Mike S

• Options

Now that the summer is here in northern Wi. with a vengeance, it's time to do some testing of trailer airflow and interior temps sans A/C unit. Today, the outside temp is about 92 degrees with no wind. That's a dangerously high number for Cheeseheads and Mudducks and generally is in the range where my brethren are in danger of spontaneous immolation while trying to make the dash from the car into Fleet Farm. On the other hand, it's not -38 degrees out, which to us is "a little nippy".

Here's the inside/outside temp after about 10 minutes of fan time. I have my outside temp sending unit inside my front tool box so actual outside temp is about 90 or so.

So I had my trailer closed up all morning and when I came back, the inside trailer temp was 120 degrees. I opened the roof vent, windows and turned on both the ceiling fan (to blow air out the top) and also the rewired A/C fans. 30 minutes later and it's 20 degrees cooler in there. I'm hoping for another 5 or 6 degree drop with fans alone. That would put daytime temps at 85 or so. Evening temps dip down into the mid-60's so that's not an issue. Airflow....it's all about the airflow....

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    edited May 2018

Wi has a summer? ;) Side note....I love my indoor/outdoor thermometer. I would recommend it for everybody. Much fun to know you slept through 23 degrees outside and the inside was 59 degrees and toasty. Also..It lets you know not to leave the trailer unless absolutely necessary if it’s super cold outside.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    CindykmCindykm Member Posts: 3

We have a 2017 Tag and have not used air conditioner. We rely on the fan, but it seems to be very noisy. Is this normal?

• Options

Cindy,
    Yeah, the fan is loud! You can put a 3 ohm resistor in the or LINE (or have your dealer do it for you.) It's very easy to do. Basically it involves pulling down the interior fan trim and cutting the hot wire. You then just crimp on wire ends with the resistor in-LINE. It will slow your fan by 50% at all speeds. A better way is to swap out your fan for one that has a digital (usually 10 speed) controller. They take MUCH less power and are much quieter, plus you have full speed if you want it. There are a number of threads here on fan replacement. If you aren't maintenance savvy, your dealer can easily do it for you. The stock fan is nice and works well, but is much too powerful for so small a space.
    WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

William...is there heat involved with this modification?

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

Tom,
    Do you mean before, while installing, or after, as in the resistor gets warm. Whenever I cut and splice a wire I use crimp on heat shrink connectors. Once you crimp them on, you'll need to heat the connectors with a bic lighter to shrink and seal then. The resistor gets warm when the fan is running but goes up into the wiring chase within the fan so no, there's not much heat. Is that what you mean?

I'll order a resistor and do a post on it.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Resister heat. Just curious what might go on over time.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

Tom,
    I got ahead ofthe myself. The resistor is 8 ohms at 22 watts. I found a PWM controller on Ebay good for 5A @ 12-24 V. I think I'll try that this time.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Got it. Thanks

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    edited June 2018

Well, I had a 3 day camp with the 3 of us, my 9 yr old, his mom and myself. It was as hot as I've ever been when camping (103 wet-bulb per Minneapolis weather report) with 83% humidity and the 3 of us in the trailer. We used the ceiling fan (set to blow in, or down if you will) and a small 8" table fan. I set the table fan in the cubby where the a/c used to be. I'm quite pleased that even with 3 of us onboard, it was quite pleasant at night. If it gets higher than 103, I may just spend the night in the river anyway...

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    AustinHealeyAustinHealey Member Posts: 66

How hard is it to remove the air conditioner in a 2019 TAG boondock?

• Options
    HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140

Easy...a few screws and remove the plug plate so you can pull the cord through. Slides out. Careful not to bend the fins on the back of the a/c unit as you slide it out.

2014 T@G

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

We have gotten along nicely without AC on a couple previous trailers at 100+. Small clamp on and table fans kept it comfortable. Thought I lost a former cat once. Found her under a pillow.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    Ponch0069Ponch0069 Member Posts: 6

Hello. I’m removing my A/C unit from 2019 T@G. After my last off road trip to the North Rim of Grand Canyon the A/C support screws snapped and dislodged. There was a lot of dust from the road inside the camper and especially underneath the A/C unit area. Is there a vent I will need to cover up to prevent dust coming inside my camper after I remove the A/C unit? Thx David

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 173

There are three. One exhaust vent on each side and one intake on the bottom of the trailer. The intakes can be blocked by stuffing sponges into the "cowbells". The intake is on line with the cowbells under the trailer and is likely the source of your dust..

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 633

The cowbells are intakes and the A/C exhausts under the TaG. The original configuration was just the opposite. None-the-less, there are 3 openings to block.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148

@Sharon_is_SAM said:
    The cowbells are intakes and the A/C exhausts under the TaG. The original configuration was just the opposite. None-the-less, there are 3 openings to block.

What year did this change?
    Thank you

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 633

Not sure, but here is a good thread that discusses the A/C fan arrangement: https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/680/a-c-settings-for-t-g/p1

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

Im not sure either. I confirmed by taping some ultra-lite ribbon to the vent and cowbells then turned everything on.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148

Mine the cowbells are the exhaust. I only use the ac when @ home working on it. Gets very cold inside if I shut the doors.