Options

Headboard door mod on 2017 T@G

New mod on our 2017 T@G and very easy. I haven’t seen this posted before.

My wife didn’t like having to take everything off the the headboard storage door to get into it. I looked at the new 2018 T@G headboard with the side doors but thought the top loading was better since you can put more stuff inside from the top.

I took the door off, just unscrewing the hinges and cut it into two parts. I left the right side as is and reinstalled it.

Then added a matching hinge to the left side and drilled a new thumb hole on the left side. I used Minwax English Chesnut stain on the cuts. Used a drill press with a Forster 35mm bit to cut the hole for the new hinge and thumb hole.

Now we have two doors on the storage that allow for easier and more convenient access. Calling this the “Mary Mod”

2017 T@G Max

Comments

• Options
    AnacortesArmyGuyAnacortesArmyGuy Member Posts: 25

Our 2017 T@G Max doesn’t have those headboard doors - interesting...or maybe I’m not understanding the issue.

2017 T@G Max
    2016 Subaru Crosstrek
    Anacortes, WA

• Options
    tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

This is the hinged cover for the storage area inside headboard in the front of 2017 T@G's, I assume earlier models have it as well but don't know. It's a great idea, I took mine off yesterday and cut into three pieces and re-hinged it so they can be opened up independently by sliding anything on the shelf off to the side.

• Options
    TennTimTennTim Member Posts: 29

Target has little plastic baskets that fit this section perfectly. Plus others for the cabinets. I think I have seven on my headboard. I take them all off to get behind it, but cut into thirds or quarters and leaving a gap to slide as needed would be a nice idea.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Nice work!

I have the same year and same full head board that you have, but I do not like it. But I also do not like the slidding panel. My plan is to keep the hinge head board, but also to add hinge panels where thay have used sliding panels. Will have to think a bit about how to do it.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Any hinged door on the front of that storage area would need to clear the mattress and bedding, not leaving a whole lot of room.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@BBsGarage said:
    Any hinged door on the front of that storage area would need to clear the mattress and bedding, not leaving a whole lot of room.

I do not worry to much about that, hinge would be just above the mattress that for us is still standard ( it is just perfect for us). But I have not took the time to really look into it yet.

I will keep you guys posted. :)