Options

Moved my license plate

WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
edited March 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades

Hey all,
I finally got around to moving my license plate off the back. I've got a 2017 Outback and it still had the plate under the rear hatch. I never has a problem dragging it even in offroad sortee's but I HAVE quite regularly raked my chins and ankles on the razor-blade like license plate. I've been meaning to get around to this for a bit but the cold weather kept me away.

Here's the old home now sealed up and cleverly concealed with a temporary piece of rubber tape. I'll get a press-in widget to fill the large hole next time I get to the hardware store.

Here's the new home. It's a bit on the large side for the fender so I moved the overhang inward so as not to hang up on things, mostly me and my poor chins. I cut the wire and installed it here, added a few feet to the wire and ran it to the inside of the frame rail from the inside of the fender, then along the wiring harness with zip ties back to the original tie-in. I really like it here and most like that it's now out of the way, on and off road. It's clearly visible there and should satisfy even the nice man in the big round flat hat but we'll have to wait and see.

I had considered putting it on the rear hatch but really didn't like messing up that giant canvas (I have plans for that) with the license plate.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

I currently have mine mounted with a piano hinge, which works OK but I'm not a huge fan.
    This looks like a good alternative.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I thought about hinging it on the back but decided to just get it out of the way for good. I really like it here and don't anticipate any issues with law enforcement. It's still lighted and can be seen easily from the rear. So far, so good...

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

Nice location William. I have the SS and my plate gets beat up but it’s still there. Fender locations are not an option for me without some very creative work. I like the galley hatch location but don’t want to complicate that area in case I want a super cool decal there. I think I’ll spring hinge the plate just so I don’t totally lose it.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

Still room for a big decal