Options

Tires options

LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Good day to all.

For introduction, I will say that I have a T@G max Outback 2017.

On different forum and FB pages, I saw many ask about what other tire to use for theire TD, many mentionned that only original trailer tire should be used, cause they were stronger and tadadi.....

Coming from the offroad world (rock crawling, mud, hard trail adventure), I decided to take time to look at the different tires I have here around the house. The same dimension tire I have laying around (235x70r15 about 29") are goodyear Wrangler AT that were used on my 95 jeep YJ when it was just a pup. It now run on 33" still on 15" rims.

So anyway, decided to look at the marking on the TD tire and the old load range D tire, and guess what, the old YJ tire are 6 ply, steel belted and have a higher load range by 50lbs at lower air pressure with a higher speed rating than the TD (meaning not limited to 65 m/h).

I can see why a trailer tire can not be used on a TV (speed rating been the most important reason), but can not see why the TV tires could not be used on a TD.

But when shopping, ask about tire load rating and speed rating. And yep, when shopping, ask question and have fun.

Good shopping.

Comments

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Lucky,
    Good info. I don't give tire advice for many reasons, but I can say that I run P-rated tires. I don't like trailer rated tires. I would change tires on my TD but need to first solve my backspacing issue.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.