Options

Confused about the electrical adapter needed

AspenAspen Member Posts: 45

Need help with hitch electrical adapters. My Subaru dealer installed a 4 way flat (female) on my Outback and I can't seem to find a compatible 7 round pin adapter with a male 4 way for my new T@G that I'm picking up this weekend. Do I have the correct end on my TV or should it be male? Can anybody tell me if the 7 round pin on the T@G is male or female? Thanks in advance for your help... this whole process has me a bit confused and unprepared.

Comments

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396
    edited April 2018

this is what I used on our Outback that had the flat 4, it will work all of the lights but to have the car charge the trailer battery you need to add a charging wire. Also if you have brakes that will be some additional wiring needed.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Q80GS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options

Thank you BBsGarage. I decided to have the RV dealer install a 7 round directly on my Subaru Outback since I'm also having the put in the electric brake control. I figured I might as well have it all wired appropriately and make us of the brakes for safety's sake. Also hoping the Outback 2.5 with CVT tows without any issues if I pack light and take it easy on speeds and grades.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

2.5 with CVT. Hummm?

I am not to worry about towing with close to max capacity of a TV. Cause in my mine, it can be done w/o issues when you behave like you tow a trailer, meanning slowing down, respecting in between vehicule space, reducing speed while driving down long hills.

But a CVT is always a concern for me. They do not offer any braking capability (compression) and are always kind of sliding. So for this, I would really check the towing capacity of your subi, had a trani cooler if available and have trailer brake installed if you do not have any.

Other than that, have fun and you already look like you will not drive in a hurry. :)

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

@Aspen said:
    I decided to have the RV dealer install a 7 round directly on my Subaru Outback since I'm also having the put in the electric brake control. I figured I might as well have it all wired appropriately and make us of the brakes for safety's sake. Also hoping the Outback 2.5 with CVT tows without any issues if I pack light and take it easy on speeds and grades.

Having the 7 pin was best choice. Surprised the Subaru dealer installed a 4 pin. Your Outback has 2700 lb towing capacity so you are fine with a T@G. The tongue weight limit is 10% or 270 lbs. With the LP tank and battery installed the T@G has a tongue weight of 170 lbs.

2017 T@G Max

• Options

Thank you LuckyJ and mgreen2! This is all new to me and I admit I thought I did most of my homework, but learning most critical things last minute... hence the conversion to 7 pin and electric brake controller being installed by RV dealer day of pick up. I'm hoping to travel with a 1 gallon propane tank, if any, to keep tongue weight down and possibly replace weight with a small generator since I'll be mostly boondocking. Definitely planning on taking it slow and super cautious as this will be my first time towing anything 'significant' . Lots of short trips and practice ahead of me! Any and all advice greatly appreciated... particularly tips on battery life without hookups and/or solar options. Once again, I'm a green newbie so lots to learn... hopefully by not too much trial and error. Thanks y'all!

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

We use the regular LP tank and happy not having to worry about running out. 1 lb tanks are more expensive and I have a separate campchef cooker/grill that we take with us if we have others camping with us. I put a 10 ft extension line on the tank for it. The stove on the T@G is fine for 2 but if you have a crowd the larger cooker comes in handy. My wife and daughter are gourmet cooks and we eat better on a camping trip than at home with them doing their thing on the big cooker.

2017 T@G Max

• Options

Sounds like a great setup mgreen2! Thanks for the tip with the extension for a secondary stove! I love camp cooking myself, but usually just for 1 or 2 people for a couple nights at most.... so I'm hoping to get by with small tanks and a nice stoked camp fire. I will definitely keep the regular LP tank handy for longer trips or bigger groups, though.

• Options

Turns out my T@G still hasn't arrived at the dealer... after waiting there for it for 5 hrs yesterday. Second time it's been "delayed" and unable to be tracked. I'm starting to worry I'll never get it, or worse.... it doesn't even exist! :bawling:

• Options

@Aspen Have you spoken to NuCamp or only the dealer?

Bill

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

Big time DEALER problem here.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

Good news.... My T@G arrived last night!! The owner of the dealership delivered it to my house, himself, which saved me another 4 hr RT drive to go get it. He spent a good hour doing the walk around, replacing some blown fuses, and hitching it to my TV. It's been a roller coaster ride of miscommunications the past few weeks, but it sounds as if most of the delivery issues were with the transport company NuCamp used. Now moving forward, lots of things to learn and practice with towing/backing up/ and using all the great features! Can't wait to get it out camping in a few weeks!

• Options

I guess it was the least he could do.
    Congrats now let the fun begin !!

Bill

• Options
    NsummersNsummers Member Posts: 4

@BBsGarage said:
    this is what I used on our Outback that had the flat 4, it will work all of the lights but to have the car charge the trailer battery you need to add a charging wire. Also if you have brakes that will be some additional wiring needed.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Q80GS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@BBsGarage said:

If this is added to an existing flat 4, can I jump off it's +12V for the AUX power or do I have to run a 2nd line?

I want to know why curiosity kill the cat.

• Options

@Nsummers said:

@BBsGarage said:

@BBsGarage said:

If this is added to an existing flat 4, can I jump off it's +12V for the AUX power or do I have to run a 2nd line?

You would need to run a separate fused and ideally relayed line.
    The flat 4 does not have a +12v its ground/tail lights/right brake/turn/left brake turn.

Bill

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

A diagram that might help a little bit. I think this is right, but savvy types might want to check my work...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.