Looking to get our first trailer...the T@G XL

So after much consideration, my wife and I have decided we are looking to get a NuCamp T@G XL trailer, but we have some questions from you more experienced owners and users. We are mountain bikers, so the first thing I was wondering (since I don't see a receiver hitch on the T@G) is where some bikers mount their bikes. I know the roof rack is an option, but there would be occasions we would use the roof rack for our kayaks and also bring the bikes as well. Also, is there an option for a heater in the TAGs? We camp in some higher elevation areas, and would like to know what you guys do for heat- and this would include boondocking for both AC and heat- would you guys run propane or a generator? We are both new to camping in a trailer, but are seasoned tent campers. We are really looking forward to getting our T@G!

Comments

• OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 109

My wife & I are avid mtn bikers, and getting the T@G has been one of our smartest purchases. From May to October, we camp/bike nearly every other weekend, plus a couple 5-day trips. What's great is going to destination-type areas that have 40 miles of singletrack so you can ride for at least a couple days and camp/hang w/other dirtbags. T@Ging at music festivals is pretty great, too.

We use a pair of Yakima roof racks.on our Subaru. You could probably fit one kayak & rack between them. Generally, folks around here discourage mounting bikes on the rear of the trailer, and with good reasons, but you might consider mounting kayaks on the camper's roof.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

• Not sure about your vehicle but we are also kayakers and take our bikes with us. We have a receiver in the front of our truck that we will add a sturdy bike rack to. Our kayaks will go on top of the truck. Didn't really want to mount weight/wind on top of trailer.

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Rich,
    I boondock constantly, haul a fatbike and do a lot of winter/off-season camping. I have installed electric forced air furnaces in both my T@G and the Little Guy before it. I wouldn't be without it. Its quiet, invisible and reliable. It uses 800 watts (about 8 amps) at 110v. It easily runs off my generator (2,000 watt inverter) or 15 amp shore power. Total cost for parts and install were around $200 bucks. I have used both for many hours with zero issues. I have write-ups on both here and on the Little Guy forum. You can also see how I built my bike rack.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• rich67rich67 Member Posts: 164

Thanks for the comments and responses. We just placed out order for the 2019 Tag Boondock XL. Having the paint custom done in Jeep Commando Green and black trim, added the solar package. William, I will definitely check out the furnace and bike rack info. I found a dual receiver that should accept both my Thule bike rack in between the Jeep and Tag. Can't wait. Signed the paperwork the other day, and just waiting for the trailer to be built.

• JumperJumper Member Posts: 70

Congratulations on your new camper! I just ordered my 2019 and they have an estimated delivery date of August.1st.

• rich67rich67 Member Posts: 164

Went to the dealership today to get the brake controller and 7 pin harness installed. Also had a chance to check out the camper! Still waiting for the finance company to finish up the paperwork, which hopefully will be by this weekend. As you can see, the paint color looks great, and it matches the Jeep almost perfectly.

• 2jgcampers2jgcampers Member Posts: 47

Niiiice!

Twojs&Guinness&OD

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

JEEP!!!!!!!
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

we have our mtn bikes on a vehicle roofrack, 2 inflateable kayaks go inside the truck when we are heading for water