Options

Recommendations for Cover for T@G XL

Hi! We just recently purchased our TAG XL and will be parking in our drive. We'd like to put a cover on it. I seem to remember reading somewhere (but can't find it now) that folks bought a cover from Northern Tool? What size? Any other recommendations? Thanks much!!

Comments

• Options
    tanda62tanda62 Member Posts: 38

Here is the cover we got for ours. It covers the entire camper and the tongue all the way down to the bottom of the tires even with a vent cover installed. So far it has done a great job of keeping some of the items falling from the sky (bird doo doo in particular) off the camper. I also like the access it provides to the back and the door on one side via zippers.
    Classic Accessories 80-399-161001-RT PermaPro RV Cover for 10'-12' long x 6' Wide Tear Drop Trailers

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Ok, I am bringing this up.

I am in the search for a cover, and was wondering if the permapro cover lets enough air moving to avaoid moisture of if something better is availale, It will have to cope with ice and snow and tress sap fro fallen leafs. But I will remove snow after a storm.

Also, for a T@G outback/boondock 5 wide with the front aluminium rack, what size do I need? I know I will have to remove the awning, but roof rack??

Any idea and comment would be nice, and at the price if this one proposed by @tanda, it makes one very afordable.

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-80-399-161001-RT-PermaPro-Trailers/dp/B071WY3G5Y

• Options
    MartogMartog Member Posts: 97

I'm looking myself and the All Pro Adventure ones are I know custom made to fit these, but they are about $400 and I was looking myself for a cover, it will either be behind our building at work or at offsite storage.

Does anyone know the difference between the PolyPro 3 and the PermaPro from Classic? It just seems the fabric is different and they are a few dollars apart on Amazon.

https://amazon.com/dp/B01IU4BE6G/

2019 T@G XL Boondock Edge "Prometheus"
    2010 Subaru Outback 2.5L "Ecto 10"

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 635

@Martog, the PermaPro is a single layer, woven, ripstop polyester fabric. The fabric is intended to be stronger than the PolyPro. It has top vents that allow air in to prevent trapping moisture and the fabric is quick drying, too.

We have the PolyPro which is not woven, but fibers that are pressed together. The PolyPro has 3 top layers that are water resistant relative to the 1 side layer that breathes. We purchased our PolyPro cover for the TaB at Amazon.

Someone on the TaB forum in Durango, CO, used the PolyPro version and it only lasted 1 year due to UV and ripping with the wind. He purchased the PermaPro and expects to get 2 years out of it.

Although Amazon has the PermaPro for the teardrop size campers, it does not appear that they are available on the Classic Accessories website. However, Amazon and Walmart have the 10-12 feet version on sale for $79! That’s a good deal. Seems the sizing is either 5 feet wide up to 10 feet long or the larger 10-12 feet long x 6 wide. I suspect that will cover even the TaG wheels.

Walmart PolyPro is currently more expensive.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    edited November 2018

For $80 compared to $400, if I have to replace it every couple years, that's not horrible really. I don't know how well the All Adventure Pro covers hold up, not sure if anyone here has one and can comment. I'm going to get the PermaPro cover. As soon as I get my registration information in the mail (I lost my temp license tag but don't need to tow it right now) I'm going to move it to storage for the winter after I take out the battery and set it on some 2x4's in my garage. I have to retrieve my jet ski battery too.

EDIT: The PermaPro right now has an $11 instant coupon on Amazon (it's on the product page). For $68.12 I'm definitely snagging one right now!

• Options

Grab that one!

• Options

@Sharon_is_SAM said:
    Grab that one!

Should have it Wednesday according to Amazon!

• Options

Such a steal!

• Options
    BlueTAGBlueTAG Member Posts: 21

We just purchased a 2015 T@G XL. I bought the cover from Northern Tool (10-12 ft) and it covers the wheels and the storage bin on the front hitch. I also put a silver tarp over top of the Northern cover to seal out any rain and snow we get in Michigan.

• Options
    SamHouseSamHouse Member Posts: 3

Has anyone with a T@G XL Boondock ever purchased a PahaQue Trailer Cover? If so, how pleased are you with the purchase? It's more expensive--$399 on Amazon vs Classic Accessories PermaPro $171 on Amazon. Will it last more than 2 years, which is what others say the Classic Accessories lasts, due to UV damage mostly.

• Options
    AZTagAZTag Member Posts: 11

I don't have experience with either of those, but will share that the AllPro cover has worked great for our 2021 T@G Boondock - understanding it is higher cost. We've had it in the intense, nearly daily, sun of Tucson, AZ for 18 months and it shows no sign of fatigue or breakdown of the fabric outside/inside. Zippers at one door are handy, and they custom-sized the rack/awning section at no charge (T@G and awning were purchased during the shortages of the pandemic resulting in a non-standard, longer, awning). The 3 straps have kept it secure in the wind, too. Time will tell how many more months/years it will go, but thus far results are good.
    https://allproadventures.com/collections/teardrop-accessories/products/new-t-g-covers?variant=31305108324436

2021 T@G Boondock
    2022 4Runner TRD Off Road
    Tucson, AZ

• Options
    ZombiecatZombiecat Member Posts: 10

@SamHouse, I have the PahaQue trailer cover for my Boondock XL, which is stored outside. It's nearly two years old and has held up well - a bit of chalky oxidation on the outer surface, but that's minor. My only issue is that water (or ice, in winter) can pool on top in the area of the ventilation fan, between the bars of the roof racks. I'm contemplating securing a piece of plywood or rigid plastic across the bars this winter to encourage water runoff. I'd imagine this will occur regardless of which cover you choose.

"Improvement makes strait roads, but the crooked roads without Improvement, are roads of Genius."

• William Blake

2021 T@g XL Boondock

• Options
    edited October 2022

Maybe try some pool noodles laid across the bars to encourage water run off.

• Options

Thanks to @AZTag , @Zombiecat , and @Sharon_is_SAM for your comments. Given that I live in a winter part of the country with snow like you, @Zombiecat , I can see how a thin piece of plastic, chip board or plywood sheeting across the 2 bars and over the vent fan, could be helpful. However, whether with the corners of the sheeting or the ends of the bars, it seems like they could be good places for a tear in the fabric in the wind, so softening those corners and bar ends might be important.

• Options
    ZombiecatZombiecat Member Posts: 10

Absolutely! My plan is to round the corners and pad them with weatherstripping or baby proofing strips. Additionally, if I use plywood, I’ll paint it with marine polyurethane to prevent deterioration.

i may need a cutout due to the height of the fan.

"Improvement makes strait roads, but the crooked roads without Improvement, are roads of Genius."

• William Blake

2021 T@g XL Boondock

• Options

@Zombiecat, I just created the 1/4" plywood sheet, with rounded corners and 'baby bumpers', with holes drilled at each corner, for small rope to more firmly attach it to the Yakima bars. The height of the plywood sheet was above the center vent fan, so there was no need to cut a hole for it. It looks great. Now, I'm just waiting for my trailer cover to arrive, to see if it all works. Hope your efforts go well.

• Options
    RonDeeRonDee Member Posts: 3

All pro covers the best i've seen

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I am on my second PermaPRO cover from Classic Accessories. (8'-10' Long X 5' Wide) (80-398-151001-RT). The second was sent to me at no cost by Classic Accessories under life time warranty. (Zipper failure in first cover)

I expect to get 3-4 years before the fabric gets prone to tearing.

I really appreciate companies such as Classic Accessories who stand behind their product. I highly recommend the Classic Accessory trailer cover.

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 174
    edited December 2022

@JamesDow said:
    I am on my second PermaPRO cover from Classic Accessories. (8'-10' Long X 5' Wide) (80-398-151001-RT). The second was sent to me at no cost by Classic Accessories under life time warranty. (Zipper failure in first cover)
    I expect to get 3-4 years before the fabric gets prone to tearing.
    I really appreciate companies such as Classic Accessories who stand behind their product. I highly recommend the Classic Accessory trailer cover.

We've had a Perma Pro on and off our T@G multiple times in the last three years and it hasn't torn yet. Bought from Northern Tool.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner