my locks on the clamshell hatch
work only sometimes
for such an expensive camper.
any solutions to this issue

Comments

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Papa,
    I had trouble with my clamshell loocks too. I used a liberal application of WD40 on the locks and deburred the keys with some steel wool. Much better now. The left one is still sticky.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396
    edited June 2018

The only time I have any issue with those locks is if the handle is not 100% in the locked position, even slightly off the key will not turn.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Just so you guys know, WD-40 is not a good lubricant. It is a good cleaner, but will dry out and gum and leave a deposit.

Once you have used it to free what ever was stuck, apply a good quality lubricant. Fluid film is way better at this than wd-40.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

@LuckyJ said:
    Just so you guys know, WD-40 is not a good lubricant. It is a good cleaner, but will dry out and gum and leave a deposit.

Once you have used it to free what ever was stuck, apply a good quality lubricant. Fluid film is way better at this than wd-40.

I've also used graphite powder for locks as well.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@BBsGarage said:

@LuckyJ said:

I've also used graphite powder for locks as well.

Good stuff as well.

• Options
    BrianBrian Member Posts: 26

@BBsGarage said:
    The only time I have any issue with those locks is if the handle is not 100% in the locked position, even slightly off the key will not turn.

I will second this. Like @BBsGarage, that is the only time I have had a problem with my locks. When closing the hatch, I press against the bottom edge with my knee while turning the handle to make sure it goes all the way.

Brian & Lisa
    North Georgia
    2017 T@G Max XL / 2011 Kia Sorento