Options

Rack top awning width

I'm picking up my new T@GXL at the end of the month and am heading out soon afterward. I want to figure out some sort of awning configuration and have a DIY idea but need to know a reasonable length if I install a awning on the T@G roof rack. I see most are 6 feet wide. Can I do 8 feet, keep it level, and still open the kitchen hatch? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    georgianwindsgeorgianwinds Member Posts: 9

I have an 8 foot Rhino Rack sunseeker awning on my LittleGuy. As long as the cross rails project beyond the the sidewalls of you camper, you are good to go with any length and no hatch interference. Your awning would attach to the cross rails. Perhaps this picture helps.

S.S Tearjerker
    2017 Little Guy Silver Shadow, 2018 Subaru Forester XT

• Options
    NatashaNatasha Member Posts: 10

I see. But do the factory installed Yamika railings extend beyond the side wall? In pics of my trailer doesn't look like they do. Now I'm actually looking into installing Keder flexible rail on the T@G. Trying to figure out, then, where to screw it in so it doesn't leak vs using 3M tape. Your set up is nice. Thanks for helping.

• Options
    georgianwindsgeorgianwinds Member Posts: 9

My trailer was ordered with side rails. The yakima cross rails are exactly the width of the camper. A "L" bracket package came with the cross rails and when attached the ends of the brackets are about flush with the side walls. The awning frame is bolted to the brackets using nylon insert locking nuts. There is no problem with the hatch as it easily clears the awning frame by 2 - 3 inches. Hope this all makes sense. Best wishes and enjoy your new camper.

S.S Tearjerker
    2017 Little Guy Silver Shadow, 2018 Subaru Forester XT

• Options

It makes sense. I will keep it in mind as an option after I see what these 'L' brackets look like!

• Options
    AnacortesArmyGuyAnacortesArmyGuy Member Posts: 25

I also have the Rhino Rack Sunseeker II awning, and it’s installed on my 2017 T@G. The Yakima rails installed on my camper can, when loosened, be slid in the towers toward one side or the other if you want to make more room for the awning’s brackets, which I had to do to accommodate the awning. Having said that, I mounted mine so it does not extend beyond the camper’s top edge as I did not want a gap between the awning’s back edge and the top of the camper’s side to allow rain to intrude. Having said that, the T@G’s rear clamshell does not even come close to intrudimg on the eight foot awning when the clamshell is open. Matter of fact, it wouldn’t conflict with a nine foot wide awning (I measured this). This assumes of course that the awning is mounted level on the Yakima cross rails. BTW, I found a level position for the cross rails can be achieved at a distance of approximately 33 inches apart.

2017 T@G Max
    2016 Subaru Crosstrek
    Anacortes, WA

• Options

Thanks! That was helpful!

• Options
    mcgratedmcgrated Member Posts: 3

I have two 8 foot awnings on my tag. i have a ARB and the Batwing by Rhino Rack. plenty of room to open the hatch.

• Options
    CFD614CFD614 Member Posts: 9

What mounts did you use to mount the ARB awning on the round bars?

• Options

I just reread these posts. Could anyone clarify that the L brackets come WITH the trailer when the rack is factory installed? Is this all trailers with racks or was Georgianwinds an exception? I just bought some universal awning mounts for my DIY project...now wondering if I should send them back.

• Options

CFD614...you are well awninged!

• Options
    AnacortesArmyGuyAnacortesArmyGuy Member Posts: 25

My 2017 T@G came with factory-installed Yakima towers and cross bars, but no “L” brackets. The brackets needed to attach the awning to the cross bars came as part of the awning, in my case the Rhino Rack Sunseeker II. If NuCamp is now providing brackets for installing a specific brand of awning, such as the ARB, in addition to the Yakima towers and cross bars, I am unaware of that, though a quick call to NuCamp could clear that up.

2017 T@G Max
    2016 Subaru Crosstrek
    Anacortes, WA

• Options
    mcgratedmcgrated Member Posts: 3

I used the universal brackets from ARB. I flipped them upside down to get the height i wanted.
    For the batwing i used a now discontinued bracket made for the Yakima round bars.

• Options
    FishermanandyFishermanandy Member Posts: 4

I just installed the ARB 2500 on our T@G. Does not interfere with hatch. I mounted on top of the Yakima round bars using 2 of ARB OS850 Awning Brackets and 4 Yakima Snap Round mounts.

• Options
    CFD614CFD614 Member Posts: 9

Fisher how does it hold up? Sturdy?

• Options
    edited September 2018

Just thought I'd finally update this thread. I did a 4000 mile solo trip from Denver through ID, WA, BC, and OR. Had an amazing time. My DIY awning worked well. I do need a couple upgrades though. First I have to even out the roof bars so the railing mount I made is level (I didn't have time before I left.) Second I need to find a better system of support for the front (to keep straight and from sagging.)

I used an 8 foot corner bracket from Lowes and added some Keder rail track, mounting it to the Yakima rack with generic awning mounts, then used red Duck Tape to soften the corners, secure the track, and, well, make it red! This way I have an 8 foot wide awning without having to deal with the curve of the T@G (name's Yogi BTW). I bought inexpensive replacement awning fabric then cut and sewed it to fit (it comes with the scalloped front piece) and sewed on the bead for the Keder rail. I just wanted something fun and I love a good project.