Options

AC unit on the 2018 TAG

I was wondering what kind of start up power this AC unit needs? Has anyone tried a 1,000 watt generator? I used it with a Honda 2000 and it ran fine but just wondering if I can use it with a 1,000 W? I am looking into buying one manly to charge batteries but it would be nice to have the Air Conditioner as an option.

Comments

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

I wouldn't try to run the AC on less than 1800.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I just purchased and a Baja (BAi911LP) generator (700/900 watt) from Home Depot ($239), which runs on 1lb or 20lb propane. Runs AC and Nordcold just fine. Also good to top off battery with charger and run projector for movies. I refill my 1lb canisters with no problems (always weight to assure not over or under filled). FYI the Baja is identical to the Ryobi (RYi911LP) generator which Home Depot also sells for $299. The only difference is one has 2 year. verses 3 year warranty. Home Depot Protection plan (2 additional years) costs $35.
    Attached is a listing of various components and the associated power usage. Note: I found that the converter draws just under 15 watts without a load. I did not find that that basic converter watt usage changed under load.
    Measurements have been done multiple time using : Poniie PN2000 Plug-in Kilowatt Electricity Usage Monitor Electrical Power Consumption Watt Meter Tester w/ Extension Cord. (Amazon ($26.99)

I hope you find this of use.